×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

World

13 dead, 31 wounded in Kabul attack

| | Kabul

A suicide attacker blew himself up on Monday as Government workers queued for an early bus home during the holy month of Ramadan, killing at least 13 people and wounding 31, officials and hospital staff said.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the latest attack in the Afghan capital, a day before the government’s separate ceasefire with the Taliban is due to start.

The blast happened at the main gate of the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, police and health ministry spokesmen told AFP.

Employees were gathered at the entrance of the compound waiting for a bus to take them home when the bomber blew himself up in the crowd, said rural ministry spokesman Faridoon Azhand, who was inside the building at the time.

“I was in my office when I heard a big blast,” another employee told AFP. “Most of my colleagues were leaving for the day to go home. I am worried about my colleagues. We are told to stay inside for now.” Police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai confirmed the attacker had targeted the employees as they waited for the bus at around 1:00 pm (local time).

They were leaving early due to the holy month of Ramadan, when most Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.

The attack, which IS claimed via their Amaq propaganda agency, killed 13 people and wounded 31, Azhand told AFP. A doctor at a hospital treating many of the victims confirmed the death toll.

Police and health officials said earlier that 12 people were killed and 31 wounded.

The attack was just one of several around Afghanistan Monday. Militants raided a government building in the eastern city of Jalalabad in Nangarhar province, prompting terrified employees to jump out of the windows, officials said.

A suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance to the education department, triggering a fierce battle between gunmen and Afghan security forces, Nangarhar provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP. At least 10 people were wounded, city health department director Najibullah Kamawal told AFP.

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

‘Assault’ on police driver: Action against Kerala ADGP

17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi

In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

Downpour breaks heat spell in capital

18 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal

After around a week, it rained heavily in the State capital on Sunday. It was a short spell of around 15 minutes, but rains lashed almost the whole city...

Read More

Page generated in 0.2961 seconds.