Tonga parliament flattened by cyclone
Nukualofa (Tonga): The 100-year-old parliament building in the Pacific nation of Tonga was destroyed by cyclone Gita, the worst storm to hit the country in more than 60 years, on Tuesday.
Gita, a category four storm, battered the island overnight and caused widespread damage, reports the BBC.
S Africa declares drought a ‘national disaster’
Cape Town: South Africa today declared a “national disaster” over a drought that has ravaged parts of the country and threatened to leave the city of Cape Town without domestic tap water.
Four dead as storm hits Philippines
Manila: Four people were killed in the southern Philippines on Tuesday as a tropical storm unleashed heavy rain and triggered deadly landslides, police said. Tropical Storm Sanba slammed the east coast of the main southern island of Mindanao Tuesday with gusts of 75 kilometres an hour.
Two dead in Guinea in clashes
Conakry: At least two men died on Tuesday in clashes between demonstrators and riot police in Guinea, following protests over local election results and the resumption of a teachers’ strike, a Government spokesman said.
ex-S Korean Prez’s friend jailed for 20 yrs
Seoul: A Seoul court sentenced Choi Soon-sil, a close friend of former President Park Geun-hye, to 20 years in prison on Tuesday for a string of corruption charges linked to a massive influence-peddling scandal that led to Park’s impeachment.
- Bishop steals show with powerful sermon on power of love 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Meghan Markle promises more time for Indian charity 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Pak delegation in US to raise ‚Äėviolation' of Indus Waters Treaty with WB 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Yemen's Houthis fire missile at Saudi radar camp 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Globe Trotting 21 May 2018 | Agencies
- ‚ÄėNightmare': Pakistan family mourn daughter killed in Texas shooting 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Myanmar orders Rohingya to leave tense border zone 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Four Taliban insurgents killed in Afghan air strikes 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Bangladesh plans floating rate bonds 21 May 2018 | IANS
- 3 Palestinians wounded in Monday protests die: Gaza ministry 21 May 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...