Boko Haram favours women, kids as suicide bombers, says study
: The majority of suicide bombers used by terror group Boko Haram to kill innocent victims are women and children, a US study reveals.
Researchers at the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point and Yale University analyzed the 434 suicide bombings carried out by Nigeria-based militants Boko Haram since 2011, and found that at least 244 of the 338 attacks in which the bomber’s gender could be identified were carried out by women.
The ISIS-affiliated insurgent group has sent 80 women to their deaths in 2017 alone.
Boko Haram’s use of women as bombers increased following the abduction of 276 female students aged between 16 and 18 from their school dormitories in April 2014. The Chibok Girls’ abduction prompted the global “Bring Back Our Girls” campaign.
“Almost immediately after the Chibok kidnappings ... Boko Haram’s use of women suicide bombers skyrocketed,” says Jason Warner, assistant professor at the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point, the United States’ elite military academy.
- Suicide bombing at Kabul mosque kills 30: Afghan official 21 Oct 2017 | AP
- US drone strike targets al-Shabab after Somalia attack 21 Oct 2017 | AP
- US hasn't seen significant change in Pak's support to terror groups: Official 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Over 7 lakh people given oral cholera vaccine 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Pak court indicts Sharif in 3rd corruption case 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- New Zealand PM-elect announces 28-member Cabinet council 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- Spain moves to suspend Catalan autonomy 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- Hafiz Saeed‚Äôs house arrest extended for 30 days 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Foreign Min: US should shed bias against China 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Obama, Bush launch veiled attacks on Trump 21 Oct 2017 | S Rajagopalan
Sunday EditionView All
15 Oct 2017 | IANS | Mumbai
Coming out in support of young victims of social media trolls, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) President Sharad Pawar on Saturday exhorted them to speak out against the wrong policies of the Government and oppose growing incidents of intolerance and fascism across India. In an unique initiative, Pawar met around 35 youngsters who have been threatened on social media and/or booked by police for speaking out their minds against the Government and...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Dejected over refusal of non-payment of loan installment for bike by his father, a 22-year-old youth committed suicide by hanging with the ceiling at his Sankracharya Nagar residence under Bajaria police station area on Thursday. Police said that the deceased Shubham Malviya was found hanging with the ceiling and was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared dead...