China slams US defence bill over Taiwan provision
China on Monday said it had lodged an official protest with the United States following the passage of a defence spending bill that could lead to American warships visiting Taiwan.
Beijing has long objected to any military assistance from Washington to the self-governed island, which it considers a breakaway province.
“China firmly opposes any forms of official exchange and military contact between the US and Taiwan,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told reporters at a regular press briefing, adding that Beijing had made “stern representations” to Washington over the bill.
The National Defence Authorisation Act for Fiscal Year 2018, passed by the US House of Representatives Friday, contains a section on Taiwan, which calls on Washington to provide the island’s military with increased military training and to encourage it to expand its defence spending.
An amendment to the bill directs the Pentagon to submit a report to Congress on the feasibility of reestablishing port calls between the US and Taiwanese navies.
The American navy stopped such visits to Taiwan in 1979, when Washington changed diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing.
- Netanyahu‚Äôs blistering attack against EU caught on microphone 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Trump son to testify before US Senate panel next week 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Saudi king orders arrest of prince for video showing abuse 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Aid to Pak: US committee votes for tougher conditions 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Assailant tries to stab soldiers in West Bank, shot dead: Army 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Congressional panel moves to restore US aid for Tibet 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- From the chinese press 21 Jul 2017 | Pioneer
- SC exempts grandparents, grandkids from travel ban 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Pak SC warns Sharif‚Äôs children of 7-yr-jail 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 20 Jul 2017 | Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | Ranchi
In perhaps the most ruthless chidings so far the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) had been waiting for, three member of Jharkhand Assembly Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has after its maiden visit to the premier institute on Thursday said that the largest public hospital was a total failure on every counts with nothing in the institute happening the way it was expected to take place. Chaired by JMM MLA Stephen...