- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
China slams US defence bill over Taiwan provision
China on Monday said it had lodged an official protest with the United States following the passage of a defence spending bill that could lead to American warships visiting Taiwan.
Beijing has long objected to any military assistance from Washington to the self-governed island, which it considers a breakaway province.
“China firmly opposes any forms of official exchange and military contact between the US and Taiwan,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told reporters at a regular press briefing, adding that Beijing had made “stern representations” to Washington over the bill.
The National Defence Authorisation Act for Fiscal Year 2018, passed by the US House of Representatives Friday, contains a section on Taiwan, which calls on Washington to provide the island’s military with increased military training and to encourage it to expand its defence spending.
An amendment to the bill directs the Pentagon to submit a report to Congress on the feasibility of reestablishing port calls between the US and Taiwanese navies.
The American navy stopped such visits to Taiwan in 1979, when Washington changed diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing.
- Myanmar seizes drugs, equipment worth $7 m in raid 20 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Indonesia‚Äôs Mt Sinabung spews massive smoke-and-ash column 20 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Lanka Army enlists 11 former LTTE members 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Emergency extended in Maldives by 30 days 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Nepal to deepen ties with China to get more leverage in dealings with India: Oli 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Iran resumes hunt for missing plane 20 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Globe Trotting 20 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
- Pak PM reluctant to take stern action against JuD: Report 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Florida students to march for gun control 20 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- ‚ÄėRock stripes‚Äô on Mars may point to presence of water 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS) leader Hardik Patel on Monday said that the fight in Madhya Pradesh is not between BJP and Congress but the ruling party against the citizens. Before participating in the Samajik Chetna rally, talking to media persons here on Monday, Patel said, “Chief Minister in Madhya Pradesh is called Mama (uncle) but we don’t want a Shakuni Mama...