Eight killed in Nigeria suicide bombing
Eight people were killed on Monday when a female suicide bomber detonated her explosives at a mosque in northeast Nigeria, in the latest attack in the restive region.
The head of the Borno state emergency management agency, Ahmed Satomi, said the blast happened at about 5:30 am (0430 GMT) in the London Ciki area of Maiduguri, which has been at the epicentre of Boko Haram iolence since 2009.
“She killed eight people and injured 15 others. The mosque was being guarded by civilian JTF (joint task force militia) during prayers,” he said.
“Unknown to them, the girl was being pursued from another part of town by residents who were suspicious of her movement at the time.
“When she approached the mosque, they demanded that she stop to be searched but she suddenly bolted into the mosque and set off her bombs.”
Three other female suicide bombers were located in Maiduguri at about the same time, said Satomi. Two were killed in the Mammanti area as they tried to cross the ditch around the city perimeter while another set off her explosives in the suburb of Simari, he added.
It is the second time in a week that four female suicide bombers have sought to cause carnage in Maiduguri.
Last Monday, at least 19 people were killed and 23 others injured when four women set off their bombs in the Molai Kolemari area of the city.
- Netanyahu‚Äôs blistering attack against EU caught on microphone 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Trump son to testify before US Senate panel next week 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Saudi king orders arrest of prince for video showing abuse 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Aid to Pak: US committee votes for tougher conditions 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Assailant tries to stab soldiers in West Bank, shot dead: Army 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Congressional panel moves to restore US aid for Tibet 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- From the chinese press 21 Jul 2017 | Pioneer
- SC exempts grandparents, grandkids from travel ban 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Pak SC warns Sharif‚Äôs children of 7-yr-jail 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 20 Jul 2017 | Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | Ranchi
In perhaps the most ruthless chidings so far the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) had been waiting for, three member of Jharkhand Assembly Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has after its maiden visit to the premier institute on Thursday said that the largest public hospital was a total failure on every counts with nothing in the institute happening the way it was expected to take place. Chaired by JMM MLA Stephen...