×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

World

EU backs under-fire Iran nuke pact as Trump weighs future

| | Brussels

European Union powers on Thursday urged US President Donald Trump to endorse a key nuclear agreement with Iran insisting that the deal is essential for international security.

The foreign ministers of Britain, France and Germany threw their weight behind the pact limiting Iran's nuclear ambitions and insisted that the Islamic Republic is respecting it.

“There is no indication today that could call into doubt Iranian respect of the agreement,” French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told reporters in Brussels, after a meeting between the Europeans and their Iranian counterpart Javad Zarif. Le Drian called on all parties to uphold the agreement, noting that “our American allies should respect it as well. There is no particular reason for any rupture.”

Under the accord, Iran slowed its nuclear program in exchange for an easing of international economic sanctions. Trump is expected to decide by Friday whether to extend the sanctions relief or re-impose the restrictions his predecessor, President Barack Obama, suspended two years ago.

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson also noted that no one has put forward a plan that might be as effective in curbing Iran's nuclear ambitions.

“It's incumbent on those who oppose the (deal) really to come up with that better solution, because we haven't seen it so far,” he said.      

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

Myanmar Army’s admission of killings a ‘positive step’: Suu

14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon

Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

Boy killed over cell phone dispute

16 Jan 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro

A 12-year old minor identified as Nitesh Giri son of Pramod Giri of Tarmi area under the Chanderpura police station, went missing January 12 and was found dead three days later when his body was spotted by Chanderpura police here on Sunday night at 11pm. Nitesh’s body was found in Dhori forest before he was ultimately pressed his neck to killed him by local youth Manish (18) ...

Read More

Page generated in 0.4063 seconds.