Gunmen open fire at home of Pak Supreme Court judge
The residence of a Supreme Court judge who is monitoring the corruption cases against ousted premier Nawaz Sharif came under firing by unknown gunmen on Sunday, triggering widespread condemnation in Pakistan.
No casualty or injury was reported in the firing incident at the house of Justice Ijaz ul Ahsan in Model Town Lahore.
According to a statement issued by the Supreme Court, Justice Ahsan’s residence was targeted twice at 4:30am and 9am on Sunday.
Following the incident, Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar reached Justice Ahsan’s house and summoned Punjab Inspector General Arif Nawaz Khan.
The Chief Justice is personally monitoring the situation, it said, adding that a forensic team has also reached the scene to collect evidence while ballistic experts are called in to determine the nature of fire.
The police officials are investigating whether it was a targeted attack or aerial firing, it said.
Police said two bullets have been fired - one at the entrance gate and other at kitchen door.
“Elite force commandos have cordoned off the area and investigation is underway,” police spokesman Niyab Haider said, adding that the Rangers have also been deployed at the residence of Justice Ahsan.
Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, Pakistan People’s Party chairman Bilawal Bhutto and the Supreme Court Bar Association and Lahore High Court Bar Association condemned the incident.
- Russia says ‚Äėno alternative‚Äô to Iran nuclear deal 26 Apr 2018 | AFP
- 2 cops, civilian shot in Dallas, suspect caught 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- China says it welcomes visit by US officials amid trade spat 26 Apr 2018 | AP
- N Korea nuclear test site part-collapsed: Chinese experts 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- N Korea slams US censure on rights ahead of inter-Korea summit 26 Apr 2018 | AFP
- US lawmakers, IT industry against ending work permit to H-4 visa holders 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Danish inventor Madsen gets life term 26 Apr 2018 | AFP
- Globe Trotting 26 Apr 2018 | Agencies
- Pak extends visa of Indian woman who married, embraced Islam 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Ahead of summits, US tones down its war games with S Korea 25 Apr 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...