Heavy snow strands 430 people overnight on train in Japan
About 430 people were stuck on a train overnight in Japan because of heavy snow that blanketed much of the country’s Japan Sea coast, a railway official said on Friday.
The train started moving again about 15 hours after it had been forced to stop the previous evening, said Shinichi Seki, a spokesman for the Niigata branch of JR East railway company. AP
The four-car train departed Niigata city in heavy snow Thursday at 4:25 p.M., more than an hour behind schedule, Seki said. As the snow accumulated, the train’s wheels couldn’t turn anymore, and it stopped between stations about 7 p.M. At a railway crossing.
Officials decided it was too risky to evacuate all the passengers because of the deep snow and darkness, Seki said. The train had electricity and heat and toilets. Five passengers who said they did not feel well were taken off.
Some passengers were allowed to leave the train after sunrise with the help of railroad personnel, if family members had come to meet them.
Trains continued to be delayed or suspended on Friday. Seki apologized for the major trouble caused to travelers.
- Gina Haspel set to become first female director of CIA 19 May 2018 | PTI
- Anti-homophobia day: French Minister comes out as gay 19 May 2018 | AFP
- Plane carrying 104 passengers crashes after takeoff from Havana 19 May 2018 | AFP
- 10 people killed in Texas school shooting, gunman arrested 19 May 2018 | PTI
- Globe trotting 19 May 2018 | PNS
- S Korea downplays Pyongyang's threat to cancel dialogue 19 May 2018 | AP
- Will go on to next step if summit doesn't happen: Trump 19 May 2018 | PTI
- EU takes Germany, five others to court over air pollution 18 May 2018 | Adil Husain
- Court shoots down Sharif's trial under treason charges for Mumbai attack remarks 18 May 2018 | PTI
- Nawaz campaigning for PTI through love fest with Modi: Imran 18 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 May 2018 | Ashis Sinha | Bokaro
More than dozens of the trains were affected after a traffic block conducted by railway on Bokaro-Kotshila rail block on Saturday. The traffic block was conducted to eliminate two unmanned railway crossing between Bokaro and Kotshila and to construct limited height subway there, informed S K Srivastava DRM Adra Division...