ICJ to resume hearing in Kulbhushan Jadhav case
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) is set to resume on Wednesday hearing in the case of alleged Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav sentenced to death by Pakistan. The judicial body of the United Nations had earlier fixed time limits for the filing of the initial pleadings in the case.
The court had fixed June 13, 2017, September 13 and December 13 as dates for India to file its documents and for Pakistan to file counter-documents. The order was made after taking into account the views of the parties, said an ICJ statement.
Jadhav was awarded capital sentence by a Pakistan military court for espionage.
India challenged the verdict in the top UN court, accusing Pakistan of violating the Vienna Convention by failing to provide Jadhav with consular access which it said was in breach of international human rights laws.
Delhi also appealed to the court to impose emergency measures for Jadhav’s execution to be suspended until the legal battle in The Hague concludes.
On May 18, the ICJ ruled that Jadhav must not be put to death by Islamabad until the ICJ has had enough time to pass the final judgement in the case, and ordered a stay against the execution.
Pakistan says Jadhav was arrested during a counter-intelligence raid in Balochistan in March 2016.
He “confessed” to being a spy for India’s Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) in a video released by Pakistan.
- NASA scientists to survey unexplored stretch of Antarctic ice 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Tiny robots that think, act like insects in offing 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Third Palestinian shot dead in clashes Jerusalem: Health Min 16 Dec 2017 | AFP
- China plans remote sensing satellites over SCS 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Trump thanks Putin for praising his performance 16 Dec 2017 | S Rajagopalan
- Globe Trotting 16 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- EU opens next Brexit phase, warns of tough talks 16 Dec 2017 | AFP
- US offers proof of Iran supply of missiles to Yemen rebels 16 Dec 2017 | S Rajagopalan
- WH: FBI records show ‚Äėextreme bias‚Äô against Trump 16 Dec 2017 | AP
- Most believe Trump trying to obstruct Russia probe: Poll 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...