- India set South Africa 204- run target in 1st T20
- Moderate polling in Tripura Assembly elections
- PNB fraud fuelled during demonetisation: Bengal CM
- Shame on you! student tells Trump at Florida anti-gun rally
- Modi inaugurates new BJP headquarters in Delhi
- Naval chopper tender: AgustaWestland withdraws plea from HC on bank guarantee
- Sebi may give fresh push to loan default disclosure by listed firms
Israel reopens sensitive holy site closed after attack
Israel reopened an ultra-sensitive holy site on Sunday closed after an attack that killed two policemen, but Muslim worshippers were refusing to enter due to new security measures including metal detectors and cameras.
Crowds chanted “Allahu Akbar” (God is Greatest) as a number of initial visitors entered Jerusalem’s Haram al-Sharif compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount.
The flashpoint holy site includes the Al-Aqsa mosque and the Dome of the Rock.
But midday Muslim prayers were held outside the site due to the new security measures.
“We reject the changes imposed by the Israeli government,” Sheikh Omar Kiswani, Al-Aqsa director, told reporters outside.
“We will not enter through these metal detectors.”
Three Arab Israeli assailants opened fire on Israeli police on Friday in Jerusalem’s Old City before fleeing to the compound.
Israeli authorities said they had come from the flashpoint holy site to commit the attack.
- Bangladesh: Myanmar says its ready to take back Rohingya 17 Feb 2018 | AP
- Monitor: Top jihadist commander killed by rival Syria rebels 17 Feb 2018 | AFP
- US Global community concerned over Pak's anti-terror financing measures, says US 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Tillerson says US, Turkey will work together in Syria 17 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Archbishop Tutu quits Oxfam role over charity's sex scandal 17 Feb 2018 | AFP
- US touts strong Trump-Modi ties, seeks lower trade barriers 17 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Florida shooter confesses to killing 17 at school 17 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- US says Russia to face ‚Äėconsequences' for ‚ÄėNotPetya' cyber attack 17 Feb 2018 | AFP
- US Senate rejects all three immigration bills 17 Feb 2018 | S. Rajagopalan
- Globe Trotting 17 Feb 2018 | Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday dedicated to the people of the State an interntional standard 'Swami Vivekananda Stadium' built at a cost of Rs 17 crore at Kota in Raipur. After inaugurating the stadium, the Chief Minister had a look at various facilities at the stadium...