Lebanese PM Hariri revokes resignation after consensus deal
Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri revoked his resignation on Tuesday following a consensus deal reached with rival political parties, marking an end to one of the most bizarre interludes in Lebanese politics. The announcement came at the end of the first Cabinet meeting to be held since Lebanon was thrown into a political crisis following Hariri’s stunning move a month ago.
Hariri announced his resignation in a Nov. 4 televised broadcast from Saudi Arabia, citing the Iranian-backed Hezbollah’s meddling in regional affairs as a main reason for stepping down. The nature of the announcement raised suspicions that it was orchestrated by Saudi Arabia, his main backer. The move thrust Lebanon to the forefront of the regional rivalry between Saudi Arabia and Iran and shattered the national unity Government that Hariri headed.
Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting, attended by Hariri, endorsed a statement that calls on rival Lebanese groups to distance themselves from regional conflicts and the internal affairs of Arab countries.
- China begins testing of heavy-ion cancer treatment system 28 May 2018 | PTI
- Powerful cyclone strikes Oman, Yemen; 6 dead, 30 missing 28 May 2018 | AFP
- Qatar bans Saudi, UAE goods 28 May 2018 | AFP
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in Gaza Strip 28 May 2018 | AFP
- Saudi Arabia says 2 soldiers killed in Yemen 28 May 2018 | AFP
- Japan ex-PM Nakasone, witness to war and success, turns 100 28 May 2018 | AP
- 26 Syrian, nine Russian soldiers killed in ISIS attack: Monitor 28 May 2018 | PNS
- Our families would be killed: Rohingya brace for monsoon 28 May 2018 | AFP
- India, Lanka files among 195 files destroyed in UK 28 May 2018 | PTI
- Pak: Jailed Hindu leader takes oath as provincial member 28 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
27 May 2018 | PNS | New Delhi
The Nipah virus mystery deepened on Saturday as the samples collected from bats in Kerala’s Kozhikode and Malappuram districts, where 13 people have died of the infection, have tested negative for the virus. A report submitted by a central medical team to the Union Health Ministry also ruled out pigs to be the primary source of the virus...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 May 2018 | PNS | New Delhi
Youth symposium at Gumla Vikash Bharti Bishunpur will organize youth symposium-2018 on May 28 at Gumla. The programme will be inaugurated by Chief Minister, Raghubar Das in the presence of other dignitaries...