Myanmar crackdown marks death of Nobel: Khamenei
Myanmar’s crackdown on Rohingya Muslims marks the ‘death of the Nobel Peace Prize’, Iran’s supreme leader said today in a sharp attack on Burmese laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
“A cruel Government, at the top of which sits a cruel woman who was awarded a Nobel prize, kills innocent people, sets fire to them, destroys their houses and displaces them and no tangible reaction is seen,” Ayatollah Syed Ali Khamenei said in a speech in Tehran.
Once lauded by the international community for standing up to the Myanmar military, Suu Kyi has been sharply criticised around the world for her failure to condemn brutal attacks on her country’s Muslim minority now she is the effective leader.
“Yes, they condemn it, issue statements, but what good does it do? They should take action. This marks the death of the Nobel Peace Prize,” Khamenei said.
The United Nations says 370,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Buddhist-majority Myanmar since the army launched a huge security operation in response to attacks by militants late last month.
UN human rights chief Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein described the operation as a ‘textbook example of ethnic cleansing’.
Khamenei said the problem was not about Buddhists and Muslims.
“Maybe a few religious fanatics play a role, but a government is doing this. This is a political issue,” he said.
“The solution is for Muslim Governments to act. We are not saying they should send troops there, but impose political and economic pressure,” Khamenei said.
He called on the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to convene “for this specific purpose and to discuss what measures can be taken for these Muslims.”
- Two million adults in England, Wales exposed to domestic abuse 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Snake on a train: Indonesian kills serpent with bare hands 24 Nov 2017 | AP
- Palestinian factions agree on elections 24 Nov 2017 | AFP
- Philippines‚Äô Duterte says police must return to drug war 24 Nov 2017 | AFP
- Cuba expresses North Korea support, calls for US ‚Äėdialogue‚Äô 24 Nov 2017 | AFP
- Israeli leader rebukes deputy over comment about US Jews 24 Nov 2017 | AP
- Iraq launches op to clear last ISis holdouts 24 Nov 2017 | AFP
- Putin: Breakdown of Syria prevented political settlement on agenda 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Spiritual leader in Nepal arrested on rape charges 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Pak SC orders to fill Katas Raj temple pond with water in a week 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Gautam Nagar police have nabbed a miscreant on Friday on the charge of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at Gautam Nagar on Friday. Police said that the accused Raj Sharma sexually assaulted the victim who was on her way home in the afternoon...