N, S Koreas open hotline between leaders: Seoul
The two Koreas opened a hotline between their leaders on Friday, Seoul’s presidential office said, a week before a summit between North Korea’s Kim Jong Un and the South’s President Moon Jae-in in the Demilitarised Zone.
The line links the presidential Blue House in Seoul with the Pyongyang office of the nuclear-armed North’s State Affairs Commission, which Kim chairs — one of his most important titles.
“The historic connection of the hotline between the leaders of the two Koreas has just been established,” said senior Blue House official Youn Kun-young, adding that a test conversation between officials lasted 4 minutes and 19 seconds.
It is the latest step in a whirlwind of diplomacy on and around the Korean peninsula, triggered by the Winter Olympics in the South. Moon and Kim are due to meet on Friday on the southern side of the DMZ, in what will be only the third inter-Korean summit since the 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty, leaving them technically still in a state of conflict.
Seoul is pushing for a declaration that the war is over as a prelude to the signed of a treaty, with Moon declaring on Thursday it was a goal that “must be pursued”.
US President Donald Trump, who is expected to hold his own much-anticipated summit with Kim later, previously offered his “blessing” for the two Koreas to discuss a treaty.
- Bishop steals show with powerful sermon on power of love 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Meghan Markle promises more time for Indian charity 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Pak delegation in US to raise ‚Äėviolation' of Indus Waters Treaty with WB 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Yemen's Houthis fire missile at Saudi radar camp 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Globe Trotting 21 May 2018 | Agencies
- ‚ÄėNightmare': Pakistan family mourn daughter killed in Texas shooting 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Myanmar orders Rohingya to leave tense border zone 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Four Taliban insurgents killed in Afghan air strikes 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Bangladesh plans floating rate bonds 21 May 2018 | IANS
- 3 Palestinians wounded in Monday protests die: Gaza ministry 21 May 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...