- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
No evidence of Russia-Trump collusion: House Republicans
Republican members of the House Intelligence Committee have concluded that there is no evidence to support the contention that President Donald Trump or anyone affiliated with his campaign colluded with Russian officials to sway the 2016 White House race in his favour.
President Trump lost little time to hail the conclusion, while the Democrats rejected it outright and slammed the Republicans controlling the panel for moving to end the probe prematurely.
“We found no evidence of collusion,” Congressman Michael Conaway, who oversees the Russia probe, told reporters ahead of Tuesday’s scheduled release of a 150-page draft report to the Democrats for review.
“We found perhaps some bad judgment, inappropriate meetings, inappropriate judgment in taking meetings — but only Tom Clancy could take this series of inadvertent contacts, meetings, whatever, and weave that into some sort of a spy thriller that could go out there,” Conway said.
Rejecting the assertions, Congressman Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the panel, called the move to end the probe a “tragic milestone” and a “capitulation to the executive branch”.
“By ending its oversight role in the only authorized investigation in the House, the Majority has placed the interests of protecting the President over protecting the country, and history will judge its actions harshly,” Schiff commented.
Trump took to Twitter to capitalize on the news, saying: “The House Intelligence Committee has, after a 14 month long in-depth investigation, found no evidence of collusion or coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia to influence the 2016 presidential election.”
“We’re very happy with the decision by the House intelligence committee saying there’s absolutely no collusion with respect to Russia,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday, calling it “a very powerful decision, a very strong decision”.
“I understand they're going to be releasing hundreds of pages of proof and evidence – but we are very, very happy with that decision. It was a powerful decision that left no doubt, so I want to thank the House intelligence committee and all of the people that voted,”
In contrast to the assertions by Trump and House Republicans, Schiff contended that the evidence “is clear and overwhelming that the Intelligence Community Assessment (of Russian meddling) was correct”.
“If the Russians do have leverage over the President of the United States, the Majority has simply decided it would rather not know,” Schiff said.
- 7 terrorists sentenced to death for killing Sufi shrine caretaker 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Suu Kyi pressed on Rohingya crisis at ASEAN 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
- Globe Trotting 19 Mar 2018 | Agencies
- Lawmakers say UK should consider postponing Brexit 19 Mar 2018 | AP
- Chinese Premier Li re-elected for second five-year term 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- 2 polio workers killed, three abducted by terrorists in Pak 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Palestinian stabs Israeli in Jerusalem, shot dead by police 19 Mar 2018 | AP
- Israeli planes raid Gaza after explosion 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
- 30,000 civilians evacuate Syria‚Äôs Eastern Ghouta 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- No news on Trump-Kim summit as N Korea wraps up Sweden talks 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...