- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
Pakistani Taliban confirm No 2 killed in drone US strike
The spokesman for the Pakistani Taliban has confirmed the death of their deputy leader in a recent US drone strike in Pakistan's northwestern tribal region.
Azam Tariq Mehsud, the spokesman for the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, says the group's deputy chief, Khalid Mehsud, also known as Commander Sajna, was killed in last Thursday's strike in the border village of Gorwak in North Waziristan, once a stronghold of terrorists.
He said another commander, Mufti Noor Wali, has now been appointed as the group's deputy chief.
Tariq says Wali enjoys the backing of Mullah Fazlullah, the leader of the Pakistani Taliban who is believed to be hiding in Afghanistan.
Pakistani officials had earlier reported unconfirmed reports about Sajna's killing in a US strike.
Islamabad opposes the drone strikes, saying they violate its sovereignty.
- Australia‚Äôs scandal-hit Dy PM quits 24 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Nepal to have new President on March 13 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- PLA equips ground unit along Indian border with US Army-style combat gear: Report 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Indian origin Prof gets $6,00,000 grant to develop lupus cure 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- China orders 2 detained for posing in Japanese Army uniforms 24 Feb 2018 | AP
- Assad has committed war crimes in Syria: US 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 24 Feb 2018 | Agencies
- Pak takes Def attaches of 6 nations on tour of LoC 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Trump ‚Äėnot satisfied‚Äô with Pak work on anti-terror front: WH 24 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- Maldives warns India against interfering in its internal affairs 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...