- Agitation paralysing Mumbai suburban services withdrawn
- CBI has started preliminary probe in SSC paper leak case: Centre tells SC
- No immediate arrest of public servants in cases under SC/ST Act: SC
- Choksi to CBI: Completely defenceless due to exaggerated allegations
- Won't cede even an inch of land, ready for bloody battle: Xi
- Bodies of 39 Indians, abducted by ISIS in Iraq, found: Swaraj
- Jailed AIADMK leader VK Sasikala's husband M Natarajan passes away
Remarks against Christians, Jews: Singapore orders Indian Imam's expulsion
Singapore on Monday ordered expulsion of an Indian Imam after he was handed a nearly USD 3,000 fine by a court here for making divisive remarks against Christians and Jews during his Friday sermon at a mosque.
Nalla Mohamed Abdul Jameel pleaded guilty to a charge of promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion or race at the State Courts. He was handed a fine of Singaporean dollars 4,000 (USD 2,860), the Channel News Asia reported. In February, a video was circulated online of the imam reportedly reciting a prayer in Arabic that said, “God help us against Jews and Christians,” among other things.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), in a separate statement, said Nalla has paid the fine and will be repatriated. “Any religious leader from any religion who makes such statements will be held accountable for their actions,” the MHA said. “Under Singapore law, we can’t, regardless of his religion, allow anyone to preach or act divisively and justify that by reference to a religious text,” it said.
The Imam on Friday apologised to the Christian, Sikh, Taoist, Buddhist and Hindu representatives and members of the Federation of Indian Muslims, saying that he was “filled with great remorse” for the tension caused by his remarks.
- US won't resume security aid to Pak till it allays concerns on terror safe havens 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Islamabad still mulling Kabul's offer of talks, overtures 21 Mar 2018 | AP
- Globe Trotting 21 Mar 2018 | Agencies
- Trump preparing to hit China with $60 bn in tariffs: Report 21 Mar 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- 2 plus attacker hurt in Maryland school shooting, says sheriff 21 Mar 2018 | AFP
- ISIS kills 36 Syria troops in surprise attack: Monitor 21 Mar 2018 | AFP
- Military, all institutions must submit to Party: Xi 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Senator introduces Bill to keep call centre jobs in US 21 Mar 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- French ex-President Sarkozy held in Libya financing probe 21 Mar 2018 | AFP
- Crown Prince: Saudi women should have choice whether to wear abaya robe 20 Mar 2018 | Agency
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Mar 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Dehradun police have arrested an alleged member of an inter-state gang involved in vehicle theft in Haridwar and Dehradun districts from Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday. The accused has been identified as Vikram Malik, native of Shamli, Uttar Pradesh, police said, adding that he was currently living in Haryana...