Reopen 15 cases against Pak PM Sharif, recommends Panama panel
The joint investigation team which looked into Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s family assets in London following the the Panama Papers leak scandal has recommended reopening of 15 cases against the embattled leader, a media report said on Sunday.
The high-profile scandal is about alleged money laundering by Sharif in 1990s, when he twice served as prime minister, to purchase assets in London. The assets surfaced when Panama Papers leak last year revealed that they were managed through offshore companies owned by Sharif’s children.
The six-member JIT which probed the issue submitted its final report to the Supreme Court on July 10. It said the lifestyle of Sharif and his children were beyond their known sources of income, and recommended filing of a new corruption case against them.
Sharif has dismissed the report as a “bundle of baseless allegations”.
According to the report in Pakistan’s Dawn newspaper, the JIT has asked the court to reopen 15 old cases, including five cases decided by the Lahore High Court, eight investigations and two inquiries against the prime minister.
Of these 15 cases, three were filed during the 1994 and 2011 tenures of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and 12 were prepared during the tenure of Pervez Musharraf, who toppled Sharif’s government in October 1999 in a military coup.
The case relating to the Sharif family’s four London apartments was also among the eight investigations started by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in December 1999.
- Maldives troops blockade parl as crisis worsens 26 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Globe trotting 26 Jul 2017 | Agencies
- Indian-origin Muslim woman murdered in UK 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Erdogan urges all Muslims to visit and protect Jerusalem 26 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Syrian rebel aid programme was dangerous and wasteful: Trump 26 Jul 2017 | AFP
- FROM THE CHINESE PRESS 26 Jul 2017 | Editor‚Äôs Note
- Israel to stop use of metal detectors at holy site 26 Jul 2017 | AFP
- China asks US to stop unfriendly dangerous military activities 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Trump seeks to fire Attorney General 26 Jul 2017 | AP
- ‚ÄėPalestinian stabs Israeli near Tel Aviv‚Äô 25 Jul 2017 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Taking a jibe at Woman and Child Development Minister Archana Chitnis, former Chief Minister and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior member Babulal Gaur on Tuesday said in the Assembly that he is hurt when the Minister does not keep her promise made in the House. While Chitnis was replying to a query posed by Moti Kashyap of the BJP on electricity arrangements in anganwadis, Gaur sought permission from Speaker...