- PNB closed all options to recover dues by going public: Modi
- Fitch places PNB on 'Rating Watch Negative' with downgrade possibility
- PNB fraud: SC to hear PIL seeking SIT probe on Friday
- SC to hear actress Priya's plea seeking quashing of FIR
- India test fires medium range nuclear capable Agni-II missile
- Pak drug smuggler killed; 10 kg narcotics, arms seized along IB: BSF
Russia demands US return diplomat compounds before high-level talks
The Kremlin today said Washington must unconditionally restore its access to diplomatic compounds in the United States ahead of high-level talks on the issue.
Russia is angry that Washington is still barring its diplomats from using two compounds in the states of New York and Maryland after then president Barack Obama in December ordered the ban on access in response to suspected Russian meddling in the US election.
“We consider it absolutely unacceptable to place conditions on the return of diplomatic property, we consider that it must be returned without any conditions and talking,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told journalists.
He spoke as Thomas Shannon, the US State Department’s third-in-command, was set to host Russia’s deputy foreign minister Sergei Ryabkov in Washington later Monday.
Diplomats quoted by Russian news agencies said the issue of the residential complexes would be on their agenda.
The talks between Shannon and Ryabkov were earlier scheduled for June but Russia cancelled them, citing new US sanctions linked to the conflict in Ukraine.
When President Vladimir Putin and US counterpart Donald Trump met for the first time at the G20 summit in Hamburg this month, the Kremlin strongman raised the question “quite unambiguously,” Peskov said.
- Myanmar seizes drugs, equipment worth $7 m in raid 20 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Indonesia‚Äôs Mt Sinabung spews massive smoke-and-ash column 20 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Lanka Army enlists 11 former LTTE members 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Emergency extended in Maldives by 30 days 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Nepal to deepen ties with China to get more leverage in dealings with India: Oli 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Iran resumes hunt for missing plane 20 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Globe Trotting 20 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
- Pak PM reluctant to take stern action against JuD: Report 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Florida students to march for gun control 20 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- ‚ÄėRock stripes‚Äô on Mars may point to presence of water 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS) leader Hardik Patel on Monday said that the fight in Madhya Pradesh is not between BJP and Congress but the ruling party against the citizens. Before participating in the Samajik Chetna rally, talking to media persons here on Monday, Patel said, “Chief Minister in Madhya Pradesh is called Mama (uncle) but we don’t want a Shakuni Mama...