S Korea seeks rare talks with North to ease military tensions
South Korea on Monday offered to hold rare military talks with the North, aiming to ease tensions after Pyongyang tested its first intercontinental ballistic missile. The offer of talks, the first since South Korea elected dovish President Moon Jae-In, came as the Red Cross in Seoul proposed a separate meeting to discuss reunions of families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War. The South’s defence ministry proposed a meeting to be held on Friday at the border truce village of Panmunjom, while the Red Cross offered to hold talks on August 1 at the same venue. If the Government meeting goes ahead, it will mark the first official inter-Korea talks since December 2015. Moon’s conservative predecessor, Park Geun-Hye, had refused to engage in substantive dialogue with Pyongyang unless the isolated regime made a tangible commitment to denuclearisation.
“We make the proposal for a meeting... Aimed at stopping all hostile activities that escalate military tension along the land border,” the Defence Ministry said in a statement.
- Netanyahu‚Äôs blistering attack against EU caught on microphone 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Trump son to testify before US Senate panel next week 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Saudi king orders arrest of prince for video showing abuse 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Aid to Pak: US committee votes for tougher conditions 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Assailant tries to stab soldiers in West Bank, shot dead: Army 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Congressional panel moves to restore US aid for Tibet 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- From the chinese press 21 Jul 2017 | Pioneer
- SC exempts grandparents, grandkids from travel ban 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Pak SC warns Sharif‚Äôs children of 7-yr-jail 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 20 Jul 2017 | Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | Ranchi
In perhaps the most ruthless chidings so far the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) had been waiting for, three member of Jharkhand Assembly Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has after its maiden visit to the premier institute on Thursday said that the largest public hospital was a total failure on every counts with nothing in the institute happening the way it was expected to take place. Chaired by JMM MLA Stephen...