×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

World

Saudi-led forces begin assault on Yemen port city of Hodeida

| | Dubai

The Saudi-led coalition backing Yemen’s exiled Government began an assault Wednesday on the port city of Hodeida, the main entry point for food in a country already teetering on the brink of famine.

The assault on the Red Sea port aims to drive out Iranian-aligned Shia rebels known as Houthis, who have held Hodeida since 2015, and break the civil war’s long stalemate. But it could set off a prolonged street-by-street battle that inflicts heavy casualties.

The fear is that a protracted fight could force a shutdown of Hodeida’s port at a time when a halt in aid risks tipping millions into starvation. Some 70 percent of Yemen’s food enters via the port, as well as the bulk of humanitarian aid and fuel supplies. Around two-thirds of the country’s population of 27 million relies on aid and 8.4 million are already at risk of starving.

Before dawn on Wednesday, convoys of vehicles appeared to be heading toward the rebel-held city as heavy gunfire rang out, according to videos posted on social media.

Saudi-owned satellite news channels and state media soon announced the battle had begun, citing military sources. They also reported coalition airstrikes and shelling by naval ships as part of Operation “Golden Victory.”

The initial battle plan appeared to involve a pincer movement. Some 2,000 troops who crossed the Red Sea from an Emirati naval base in the African nation of Eritrea landed west of the city with plans to seize Hodeida’s port, Yemeni security officials said.

Emirati forces with Yemeni troops moved in from the south near Hodeida’s airport, while others sought to cut off Houthi supply lines to the east, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity as they weren’t authorised to brief journalists.

Yemen’s exiled Government “has exhausted all peaceful and political means to remove the Houthi militia from the port of Hodeida,” it said in a statement. “Liberation of the port of Hodeida is a milestone in our struggle to regain Yemen from the militias.”

The Houthi-run Al Masirah satellite news channel later claimed rebel forces hit a Saudi coalition ship near Hodeida with two missiles. Houthi forces have fired missiles at ships previously.

The Saudi-led coalition did not immediately acknowledge the incident. The US Navy’s 5th Fleet, whose area of responsibility includes the Red Sea, referred questions to the Pentagon, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Forces loyal to Yemen’s exiled Government and irregular fighters led by Emirati troops had neared Hodeida in recent days. The port is some 150 kilometres southwest of Sanaa, Yemen’s capital, which has been in Houthi hands since they swept into the city in September 2014. The Saudi-led coalition entered the war in March 2015.

The United Nations and other aid groups already had pulled their international staff from Hodeida ahead of the assault.

The port remains open, with supplies arriving. Several ships have arrived in recent days, including oil tankers, and there has been no word from the coalition or UN to stop work, according to a senior port official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to talk to the Press.

“If this vital route for supplying food, fuel and medicine is blocked, the result will be more hunger, more people without healthcare and more families burying their loved ones,” Oxfam’s country director in Yemen, Muhsin Siddiquey, warned last week.

Over 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen’s civil war, which has displaced 2 million more and helped spawn a cholera epidemic. The Saudi-led coalition has been criticized for airstrikes that killed large numbers of civilians and damaged vital infrastructure. Meanwhile, the UN and Western nations say Iran has supplied the Houthis with weapons from assault rifles up to the ballistic missiles they have fired deep into Saudi Arabia, including at the capital, Riyadh.

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

‘Assault’ on police driver: Action against Kerala ADGP

17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi

In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

IN BRIEF

23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi

MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...

Read More

Page generated in 0.4467 seconds.