Senate begins freewheeling immigration debate
The Senate has begun a freewheeling debate on the contentious issue of immigration reform, amid predictions that it could drag on for weeks in the hope of eventually producing a bipartisan Bill that can pass muster.
While seven Republican Senators led by Chuck Grassley introduced on Monday their Bill mirroring the framework set out by President Donald Trump, some more immigration Bills are also before the Senate. But the debate itself is not dealing with any single Bill at this stage. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s strategy right now is to allow the Senate to debate and vote on a variety of proposals before concluding which of the ideas stand the chance of clearing the 60-vote threshold in the 100-member Senate, where the Republicans have a slender majority of 51.
The Democrats’ focus is essentially on securing a deal for the 700,000 “Dreamers” brought illegally into the US as children. Another 1.1 million young immigrants are eligible for Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) but did not apply. The “Dreamers” could face deportation if a legislative fix is not hammered out by March 5. But President Trump and the Republican Senators by and large are firm on simultaneous action on other immigration issues, notably beefing up border security. With Trump’s insistence on the wall, the Republican Bill has proposed $25 billion for border security. It also wants to end the visa lottery programme and curtail family-based immigration, while promoting merit-based immigration.
- Bishop steals show with powerful sermon on power of love 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Meghan Markle promises more time for Indian charity 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Pak delegation in US to raise ‚Äėviolation' of Indus Waters Treaty with WB 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Yemen's Houthis fire missile at Saudi radar camp 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Globe Trotting 21 May 2018 | Agencies
- ‚ÄėNightmare': Pakistan family mourn daughter killed in Texas shooting 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Myanmar orders Rohingya to leave tense border zone 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Four Taliban insurgents killed in Afghan air strikes 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Bangladesh plans floating rate bonds 21 May 2018 | IANS
- 3 Palestinians wounded in Monday protests die: Gaza ministry 21 May 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...