- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
Senate begins freewheeling immigration debate
The Senate has begun a freewheeling debate on the contentious issue of immigration reform, amid predictions that it could drag on for weeks in the hope of eventually producing a bipartisan Bill that can pass muster.
While seven Republican Senators led by Chuck Grassley introduced on Monday their Bill mirroring the framework set out by President Donald Trump, some more immigration Bills are also before the Senate. But the debate itself is not dealing with any single Bill at this stage. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s strategy right now is to allow the Senate to debate and vote on a variety of proposals before concluding which of the ideas stand the chance of clearing the 60-vote threshold in the 100-member Senate, where the Republicans have a slender majority of 51.
The Democrats’ focus is essentially on securing a deal for the 700,000 “Dreamers” brought illegally into the US as children. Another 1.1 million young immigrants are eligible for Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) but did not apply. The “Dreamers” could face deportation if a legislative fix is not hammered out by March 5. But President Trump and the Republican Senators by and large are firm on simultaneous action on other immigration issues, notably beefing up border security. With Trump’s insistence on the wall, the Republican Bill has proposed $25 billion for border security. It also wants to end the visa lottery programme and curtail family-based immigration, while promoting merit-based immigration.
- Australia‚Äôs scandal-hit Dy PM quits 24 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Nepal to have new President on March 13 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- PLA equips ground unit along Indian border with US Army-style combat gear: Report 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Indian origin Prof gets $6,00,000 grant to develop lupus cure 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- China orders 2 detained for posing in Japanese Army uniforms 24 Feb 2018 | AP
- Assad has committed war crimes in Syria: US 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 24 Feb 2018 | Agencies
- Pak takes Def attaches of 6 nations on tour of LoC 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Trump ‚Äėnot satisfied‚Äô with Pak work on anti-terror front: WH 24 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- Maldives warns India against interfering in its internal affairs 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...