Thai junta grants king full control of palace wealth
A new law giving Thailand’s king direct control over royal assets worth billions of dollars went into force on Monday, the latest move by an increasingly assertive monarch to consolidate his power.
King Maha Vajiralongkorn inherited one of the world’s great fortunes when he ascended the throne in October following the death of his father Bhumibol Adulyadej who ruled for seven decades.
Thailand’s monarchy is shielded from both criticism and scrutiny by a draconian lese majeste law and does not declare its wealth.
But analysts say the Chakris are one of the world’s wealthiest royal dynasties, with estimates varying between $30-60 billion.
- Netanyahu‚Äôs blistering attack against EU caught on microphone 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Trump son to testify before US Senate panel next week 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Saudi king orders arrest of prince for video showing abuse 21 Jul 2017 | AP
- Aid to Pak: US committee votes for tougher conditions 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Assailant tries to stab soldiers in West Bank, shot dead: Army 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Congressional panel moves to restore US aid for Tibet 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- From the chinese press 21 Jul 2017 | Pioneer
- SC exempts grandparents, grandkids from travel ban 21 Jul 2017 | AFP
- Pak SC warns Sharif‚Äôs children of 7-yr-jail 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Globe Trotting 20 Jul 2017 | Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | Ranchi
In perhaps the most ruthless chidings so far the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) had been waiting for, three member of Jharkhand Assembly Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has after its maiden visit to the premier institute on Thursday said that the largest public hospital was a total failure on every counts with nothing in the institute happening the way it was expected to take place. Chaired by JMM MLA Stephen...