Thai junta grants king full control of palace wealth
A new law giving Thailand’s king direct control over royal assets worth billions of dollars went into force on Monday, the latest move by an increasingly assertive monarch to consolidate his power.
King Maha Vajiralongkorn inherited one of the world’s great fortunes when he ascended the throne in October following the death of his father Bhumibol Adulyadej who ruled for seven decades.
Thailand’s monarchy is shielded from both criticism and scrutiny by a draconian lese majeste law and does not declare its wealth.
But analysts say the Chakris are one of the world’s wealthiest royal dynasties, with estimates varying between $30-60 billion.
- Russia appoints honourary consul in Pak border province 22 Feb 2018 | AP
- Pak to get first Hindu woman Senator next month: PPP 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Pak SC disqualifies Sharif as PML-N chief 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Globe trotting 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Trump pushes for ban on rapid-fire gun devices 22 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- India gives $1 mn for rehab work in cyclone-hit Tonga 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- End emergency, uphold rule of law: US to Maldives 22 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- Trump accuses Obama of inaction over Russia meddling 21 Feb 2018 | S Rajagopalan
- Nepal‚Äôs CPN-UML, CPN-Maoist form new powerful bloc 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Bomb kills three tribal elders in Afghanistan 21 Feb 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Nishatpura police have booked six persons for assaulting a 26-year-old youth near Munmun marriage hall late in the evening on Tuesday. The victim Anil Mongia was beaten brutally after having a dispute with Suraj over playing DJ at the marriage venue...