×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

World

Trump-Kim meeting only if North Korea fulfils promises: WH

| | Washington

The meeting between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un would go as planned if Pyongyang sticks to the promises it made, particularly regarding missiles and nuclear test, the White House said on Tuesday.

Last week, a South Korean delegation, led by its national security advisor, informed Trump that Kim Jon-un has invited him for a meeting.

The invitation, conveyed to orally, was accepted by Trump, a decision that took the world by surprise.

"We fully expect that it (the meeting) will (take place). The offer was made and we've accepted. North Korea made several promises and we hope that they would stick to those promises and, if so, the meeting will go on as planned," White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters at her daily news conference.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration is continuing to prepare on a number of levels for the meeting.

"Most of that is an inter-administration, interagency process and I'm not going to get ahead of any of the details of the where, the when, or any of that here today," she said, responding to questions on the meeting between the two leaders.

Sanders said that the maximum pressure campaign on North Korea is working. 

"We know that they have responded due to that, and they have pushed this message through the South Koreans to us. We have accepted their invitation on the three promises that they made, and were going to move forward in this process," she said.

Meanwhile, in New York, US' National Security Advisor HR McMaster and US Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, briefed members of the UN Security Council on developments related to North Korea.

During the meeting, McMaster and Haley urged the international community to maintain maximum pressure on the North Korean regime and asked Council members to devote the political will and resources necessary to fully implement UN Security Council resolutions to hold the regime accountable.      

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

‘Assault’ on police driver: Action against Kerala ADGP

17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi

In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

INBRIEF

20 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi

Mother of PR dept Addl Director passes away Late Laxmibai Gupta, mother of Suresh Gupta, the Additional Director, Public Relations Department passed away here on Tuesday. She was ill for last 15 days and left for heavenly abode at the age of 91 years at Bhopal on Tuesday morning...

Read More

Page generated in 0.2251 seconds.