Trump meets military advisors as US bombers fly over Korean peninsula
President Donald Trump has discussed a “range of options” with his top military advisors to respond to North Korea’s provocative missile and nuclear tests as two American heavy bombers flew over the Korean peninsula in a show of force against Pyongyang.
North Korea has fired 22 missiles during 15 tests since February, drawing a sharp reaction from the US and its allies.
North Korea has launched two missiles over Japan and conducted its sixth nuclear test in recent weeks, creating new tension in the region.
Trump yesterday met his top advisors, including Defence Secretary James Mattis and Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford, the White House said.
“The briefing and discussion focused on a range of options to respond to any form of North Korean aggression or, if necessary, to prevent North Korea from threatening the United States and its allies with nuclear weapons,” the White House said.
During the meeting, Mattis and Dunford gave a briefing to Trump and his national security team on North Korea.
Trump has engaged in an escalating war of words with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un amid rising tensions between the two countries.
Trump even said that diplomatic efforts have not worked in dealing with North Korea.
“Presidents and their administrations have been talking to North Korea for 25 years, agreements made and massive amounts of money paid,” Trump tweeted on Saturday. It “hasn’t worked, agreements violated before the ink was dry, makings fools of US negotiators. Sorry, but only one thing will work!”, Trump said, hinting at taking military action against the regime.
- Putin orders partial Russia troop withdrawal from Syria 12 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Saudi Arabia lifts ban on public cinemas 12 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Women ‚Äėvictimised‚Äô by Trump seek Congressional probe 12 Dec 2017 | S Rajagopalan
- Melbourne to test terrorism alarm system 12 Dec 2017 | AP
- EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move 12 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- Recognising Jerusalem as Israel's capital makes peace possible: PM 12 Dec 2017 | AFP
- 4 hurt in pipe bomb blast in NY 12 Dec 2017 | S Rajagopalan
- Globe Trotting 11 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- Japan hosts joint missile tracking drill 11 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Maritime blockade would be declaration of war: N Korea 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
12 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
The Chipko Movement leader and noted activist Chandi Prasad Bhatt said that the Himalayan region is experiencing the effects of lack of political will and absence of ground level implementation of various environmental laws. He said this while delivering the second RS Tolia memorial lecture on the occasion of International Mountain Day at the regional science centre of the Uttarakhand State Council for Science and Technology (UCOST) here on Monday...