- Waiting for answers on corruption allegations from 'Maun sahab', Rahul to Modi
- Delhi boy 'commits' suicide a day after locals try to molest his sister
- Why did Manmohan not show courage to order surgical strikes post 26/11: Modi
- Three militants, woman killed in J&K gunfight
- Ryan murder: SC rejects plea against Pintos' bail
- Ahmedabad Police denies permission to roadshows of Rahul, BJP
- Don't drag us into your domestic politics: Pak to India
UAE, Saudi Arabia forming new group, separate from GCC
The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday announced it has formed a new economic and partnership group with Saudi Arabia, separate from the Gulf Cooperation Council — a move that could undermine the council amid a diplomatic crisis with member state Qatar.
The Emirati Foreign Ministry announcement, just hours ahead of a GCC meeting in Kuwait, said the new “joint cooperation committee” was approved by the UAE’s ruler and president, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nayhan.
Saudi Arabia did not immediately comment on the new partnership.
It wasn’t immediately clear how the development could affect the six-member GCC meeting, which is expected to focus on the Qatar issue. Half of the GCC members are boycotting Doha in a dispute that’s cleaved the Arabian Peninsula.
The Emirati ministry said the new “committee is assigned to cooperate and coordinate between the UAE and Saudi Arabia in all military, political, economic, trade and cultural fields, as well as others, in the interest of the two countries.”
The UAE and Saudi Arabia have cultivated even-closer ties in recent years. Emirati troops are deeply involved in the Saudi-led war in Yemen. Abu Dhabi’s powerful crown prince, Mohammad bin Zayed Al Nayhan, also is believed to have a closer relationship with Saudi Arabia’s young Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
- Globe Trotting 11 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- Japan hosts joint missile tracking drill 11 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Maritime blockade would be declaration of war: N Korea 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Sherin Mathews‚Äô gravesite in Dallas made public 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Pak-origin sex gangs target white girls in UK: Report 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- ISIS still not defeated, British PM warns Iraq 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Iraq holds military parade to celebrate victory over ISIS 11 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Lebanon forces lob tear gas at protesters near US embassy 11 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Nepal Left alliance wins 72 seats, heading towards majority 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- May‚Äôs Brexit EU deal not binding, says David Davis 11 Dec 2017 | Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
11 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The students securing 70 per cent marks in the Class XII examination will also get the benefit of the Chief Minister's Medhavi Vidyarthi Protsahan Yojna from next year. The scheme will cover all courses offered in government colleges...