UN chief calls for immediate de-escalation in Syria
United Nations Secretary- General Antonio Guterres has called for an immediate de- escalation in Syria after Israel carried out raids inside the war-torn country. Guterres is “following closely the alarming military escalation throughout Syria and the dangerous spillover across its borders,” UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.
Israel targeted what it said were Iranian positions inside Syria after one of its warplanes was hit by Syrian air defences and crashed. The Israeli raids came after it intercepted what it said was an Iranian drone entering its airspace. Guterres stressed that all concerned in Syria and in the region must abide by international law.
“He calls on all to work for an immediate and unconditional de-escalation of violence and exercise restraint,” Dujarric said.It was the most serious confrontation between Iran and Israel since Syria’s war began in 2011 and came amid growing alarm over Syrian government offensives against rebel-held Eastern Ghouta and Idlib.The Syrian people are suffering “though one of the most violent periods in nearly seven years of conflict,” said the UN statement.
“Over 1,000 civilian casualties from airstrikes were reported in the first week of February alone.” Guterres urged the parties to move quickly toward a political solution to end the war.
Israel’s Ambassador Danny Danon called on the Security Council “to condemn this dangerous act and to put an immediate end to Iranian provocations.” Diplomats, however, said there were no immediate plans to convene a council meeting despite the sharp rise in tensions. The council is due to discuss the crisis in Syria on Wednesday.
- Bishop steals show with powerful sermon on power of love 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Meghan Markle promises more time for Indian charity 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Pak delegation in US to raise ‚Äėviolation' of Indus Waters Treaty with WB 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Yemen's Houthis fire missile at Saudi radar camp 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Globe Trotting 21 May 2018 | Agencies
- ‚ÄėNightmare': Pakistan family mourn daughter killed in Texas shooting 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Myanmar orders Rohingya to leave tense border zone 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Four Taliban insurgents killed in Afghan air strikes 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Bangladesh plans floating rate bonds 21 May 2018 | IANS
- 3 Palestinians wounded in Monday protests die: Gaza ministry 21 May 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...