US blacklist another move to degrade ties: Kremlin
The Kremlin deplored on Tuesday the United States’ blacklisting of a high-ranking official and the prime suspects in the 2006 murder of ex-spy Alexander Litvinenko as a move that further damages bilateral ties.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters Washington’s decision to blacklist Investigative Committee chief Alexander Bastrykin and Litvinenko’s alleged assassins, lawmaker Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitri Kovtun, represented “further steps in the artificially created degradation of our relations”. “We deeply regret the fact that a lingering period of unprecedented degradation in our bilateral ties occurred during Obama’s second presidential term,” Peskov said. “We are convinced that this does not coincide with our interests or that of Washington.”
The US Treasury on Monday added Bastrykin, Lugovoi and Kovtun to the Magnitsky Act sanctions list in a spike of diplomatic tensions between Moscow and Washington.
State Department spokesman John Kirby said Monday the additions to the sanctions list followed “extensive research” and targeted individuals with “roles in the repressive machinery of Russia’s law enforcement systems, as well as individuals involved in notorious human rights violations.”
- Globe Trotting 22 May 2017 | Agencies
- UK university removes Muslim prayer space ahead of Ramadan 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Cuba dismisses Trump criticism as ‘ridiculous’ 22 May 2017 | AFP
- Pak actor forced to become painter due to lack of work 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Iran reformists sweep Tehran council elections: Agencies 22 May 2017 | AFP
- German, Afghan guard killed in Kabul guest house attack 22 May 2017 | AFP
- Netanyahu says will discuss peace efforts with Trump 22 May 2017 | AFP
- North Korea fires another ballistic missile despite sanctions threats 22 May 2017 | AFP
- Indian girl molested by Pakistani clerk in lift in UAE 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Trump calls for international isolation of Iran 22 May 2017 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...