- State Editions ˅
- Cover Story
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
US blacklist another move to degrade ties: Kremlin
The Kremlin deplored on Tuesday the United States’ blacklisting of a high-ranking official and the prime suspects in the 2006 murder of ex-spy Alexander Litvinenko as a move that further damages bilateral ties.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters Washington’s decision to blacklist Investigative Committee chief Alexander Bastrykin and Litvinenko’s alleged assassins, lawmaker Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitri Kovtun, represented “further steps in the artificially created degradation of our relations”. “We deeply regret the fact that a lingering period of unprecedented degradation in our bilateral ties occurred during Obama’s second presidential term,” Peskov said. “We are convinced that this does not coincide with our interests or that of Washington.”
The US Treasury on Monday added Bastrykin, Lugovoi and Kovtun to the Magnitsky Act sanctions list in a spike of diplomatic tensions between Moscow and Washington.
State Department spokesman John Kirby said Monday the additions to the sanctions list followed “extensive research” and targeted individuals with “roles in the repressive machinery of Russia’s law enforcement systems, as well as individuals involved in notorious human rights violations.”
- Trump demands health care plan vote 25 Mar 2017 | IANS
- Trump team orders tougher screening of visa applicants 25 Mar 2017 | IANS
- Mubarak walks free after six years in jail 25 Mar 2017 | IANS
- ‘Suicide attack' near Dhaka airport 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Trump authorises construction of controversial Keystone Pipeline 25 Mar 2017 | IANS
- India claiming militants at LoC to disturb PoK: Pak Army chief 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Muslim nations' envoys discuss online blasphemy against Islam 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- 2 more arrested over London terror attack 25 Mar 2017 | IANS
- UK Parliament attacker was Muslim convert with violent past 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Third of Yemen provinces on brink of famine: UN 25 Mar 2017 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
19 Mar 2017 | Rajesh Singh
Is the marginalisation of the two caste-based parties in Uttar Pradesh a harbinger of change — from identity politics to the politics of development? If we take the 2014 and 2017 elections together, that does seem to be the suggestion, writes RAJESH SINGH Understanding an election result as monumental as that of Uttar Pradesh is akin to unravelling a deep thriller plot. The why, when, where, how and what — this...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Mar 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
Chief Minister Adityanath Yogi carried out a minor reshuffle in five ministers on Friday. A government spokesman said that Labour minister Swamy Prasad Maurya has been given additional charge of Co-ordination ministry while he has been divested of Urban employment and poverty alleviation and the charge of these ministries have been given to Urban Development minister Suresh Khanna...