- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
WH moots arming teachers, drops move to raise age to buy guns
Faced with the challenge of school safety amid mounting gun violence, the White House has come out with a plan to aid States to provide “rigorous firearms training” to some teachers and other school personnel, but has dropped President Donald Trump’s earlier proposal to raise the minimum age to buy certain categories of guns from 18 to 21.
The plan that comes in the wake of the Florida school shooting last month that left 17 people dead speaks of the need to “harden” schools across America by instituting security procedures comparable to those in airports, sports stadiums and government buildings. As part of this push, it wants States to use federal grants to train school personnel to carry weapons “on a voluntary basis”.
The White House, which has endorsed a Bill pending in Congress to tighten the federal background checks on gun buyers, is also establishing a Federal Commission on School Safety to recommend policy measures, including age restrictions and other changes in laws, to prevent school violence. It also moots expansion and overhaul of mental health programmes to identify and treat people such as the Florida shooter, who reportedly had mental health issues.
“We are committed to working quickly because there’s no time to waste,” said Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who will head the commission.
- 7 terrorists sentenced to death for killing Sufi shrine caretaker 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Suu Kyi pressed on Rohingya crisis at ASEAN 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
- Globe Trotting 19 Mar 2018 | Agencies
- Lawmakers say UK should consider postponing Brexit 19 Mar 2018 | AP
- Chinese Premier Li re-elected for second five-year term 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- 2 polio workers killed, three abducted by terrorists in Pak 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Palestinian stabs Israeli in Jerusalem, shot dead by police 19 Mar 2018 | AP
- Israeli planes raid Gaza after explosion 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
- 30,000 civilians evacuate Syria‚Äôs Eastern Ghouta 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- No news on Trump-Kim summit as N Korea wraps up Sweden talks 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...