Getting enough sleep can help protect against cardiovascular disease by preventing the build-up of plaques in the arteries, as per a study. The research describes the mechanism by which insufficient sleep increases production of inflammatory white blood cells, which are known to be major contributors to atherosclerosis. It also found that a hormone in the brain known to control wakefulness controls processes in the bone marrow and protects against cardiovascular disease.
One of every five patients in India suffers from sleeping disorder, as per a study and about 20.3% patients visiting doctors for such issues ask for sleeping pills. Many patients suffer from sleep disturbances, the reasons for which include hectic schedule, night shifts, and high stress levels. Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) seems to be one of the most common problem.
Tips from Heart Care Foundation of India
- Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day — at least, on weekdays.
- Create a sleep sanctuary. Reserve your bedroom for sleep and intimacy.
- Banish TV, computer, smartphone or tablet, and other diversions you’re your bedroom
- Avoid caffeine after noon and go light on alcohol.
- Get regular exercise, but not within three hours of bedtime.