Sri Lanka to go ahead with Pak tour

| | Colombo
  • 0

Sri Lanka to go ahead with Pak tour

Friday, 20 September 2019 | AFP | Colombo

Sri Lanka’s cricket board on Thursday said it will go ahead with its tour of Pakistan despite fears that players could be the targets of terror attacks during the six-match visit.

Sri Lanka Cricket secretary Mohan de Silva said they received the all-clear from the defence ministry to leave for Pakistan on Tuesday after establishing that there was no threat to the national team.

Sri Lanka Cricket added in a statement that the governing body was assured the Pakistan army would coordinate security set at a level usually reserved for a head of state.

“Sri Lanka Cricket wishes to announce that the forthcoming tour of Pakistan will go ahead as planned, following assurances given by the government of Pakistan that it will provide maximum security,” the statement said.

De Silva added that he and “our office bearers will also be accompanying the team”.

The six-match tour, due to start on September 27, was put on hold last week after the Sri Lanka prime minister’s office warned the board it had unspecified information about a possible attack against its players.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said it was not aware of any information relating to the safety of the Sri Lankan team, but reiterated its commitment to providing security.

Sunday Edition

A summit feat

31 May 2020 | MUSBA HASHMI | Sunday Pioneer

‘I have always been a drama queen’

31 May 2020 | MUSBA HASHMI | Sunday Pioneer

The strongest coffee is here

31 May 2020 | Shalini Saksena | Sunday Pioneer

FOR MANGOLICIOUS CRAVINGS

31 May 2020 | Pioneer | Sunday Pioneer

US Presidential poll in times of Covid

31 May 2020 | Manan Dwivedi | Agenda

Maoist mayhem under new leadership

31 May 2020 | Anshuman Behera | Agenda