The State’s Tourism and Culture minister Satpal Maharaj met the Union minister of State (independent charge) for Tourism, Prahalad Singh Patel in the national Capital on Tuesday.
During the meet, there was detailed discussion on the concept of developing tourism in Kedarnath in memory of the 2013 disaster. Maharaj also informed the minister about the developmental works related to the Char Dham Yatra, Badrinath and Kedarnath. The Mahabharat circuit and other important schemes were also discussed by the two ministers. Maharaj said that the State Government is planning to develop a virtual reality based theme park and a museum with scientific and realistic models in Kedarnath related to the 2013 disaster. To this, the Union minister of State responded positively, said Maharaj. Having recently visited Badrinath and Kedarnath, the State’s tourism minister also requested the Central Government to facilitate necessary action for provision of water, toilets and shade for pilgrims waiting in long queue. He said that a proposal has been sought from the State Government for this.
The Uttarakhand minister informed that after the 2013 disaster, infrastructural works have been undertaken in Kedarnath on a war footing as part of a master plan. As a result of this, there has been a consistent rise in the number of visitors from 2013 to 2019. During the year 2018, a total of 26,22,325 people had visited the state for Char Dham Yatra to Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri shrines. Of these, a total of 7,31,991 people had visited Kedarnath. This year, since the reopening of the portals of Kedarnath temple to the public, about four lakh people have visited the shrine so far, said Maharaj.