A sudden fire in the Rishikesh-Haridwar passenger train standing at Haridwar railway station caused a stir on Wednesday. In a hurry, an attempt was made to extinguish the fire by breaking the glass window of the train, but the fire could not be extinguished.
Seeing the fire escalating, the fire service had to be called after which the fire could be brought under control. According to official sources, a short circuit is believed to be the reason behind the fire.
The Rishikesh-Haridwar Passenger train was standing on platform number eight. At about 10 in the morning, smoke suddenly started rising from a coach of the train. Seeing the smoke rise, the railway employees informed the Railway Protection Force and their senior officials. Policemen and railway workers who reached the spot tried to extinguish the fire by breaking the window. Seeing the fire rising, the fire brigade had to be called on the spot.
The fire service personnel then managed to extinguish the fire. There was no passenger present in the coach at the time of the fire.
Assistant security officer at Haridwar railway station, Dharmraj Ram said that prima facie a short circuit appears to have sparked off the fire.