Anand Patwardhan's documentary on Babri goes from 'U' to 'A' after 28 years

| | Mumbai
  • 0

Anand Patwardhan's documentary on Babri goes from 'U' to 'A' after 28 years

Tuesday, 12 February 2019 | PTI | Mumbai

Anand Patwardhan's documentary on Babri goes from 'U' to 'A' after 28 years

Renowned filmmaker Anand Patwardhan has said his National Award-winning documentary "Ram Ke Naam", based on the Babri Masjid demolition, has been age restricted on YouTube.

The director said the video sharing website is "catering to Hindutva goons who want to kill all secular content."

The 1992 documentary explores the campaign waged by the Hindu-nationalist Vishva Hindu Parishad to build a Ram temple at the site of the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, as well as the communal violence that it triggered.

The film had received a 'U' certificate from the Central Bureau of Film Certification and was shown at prime time on Doordarshan after the High Court ordered its telecast in 1996.

Patwardhan said he is baffled how the film has now been termed for "adults" only, 28 years after its release.

In a Facebook post, the director wrote Sunday, "YouTube is at it again, catering to Hindutva goons who want to kill all secular content. Latest is they have put an 'age restriction' on my film 'Ram Ke Naam' which has a 'U' certificate from CBFC."

The filmmaker said the video sharing website has previously done this to "Jai Bhim Comrade", which also had a 'U' certificate, questioning if "YouTube is even worse than our CBFC?"

Patwardhan said the website is "Hindutva embedded" and called the move "disgusting".

"Now if you are a child over 14 and under 18 you are allowed to do hazardous labour but you are not allowed to see 'Ram Ke Naam'! The temporary good news is that if you are over 18 you can watch it on my (anandverite) youtube channel. That is, till they think up a new ruse to restrict it further," he wrote.

Patwardhan had written to YouTube regarding the move, to which the video-sharing website replied that "Ram Ke Naam" was flagged for review, upon which, they "determined that it may not be suitable for all viewers and it has been placed behind an age restriction."

"After further review, we've determined that while your video does not violate our Community Guidelines, it may not be appropriate for a general audience. We have therefore age-restricted your video," Patwardhan shared YouTube's response below his post.

State Editions

1,009 FIRs lodged, 1,008 held for poll code violation so far

23 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Delhi

Political parties woo Dera Sacha Sauda followers

23 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Delhi

Traders backing BJP, says Vijay Goel

23 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Delhi

BJP’s Vardhan, Tiwari, Parvesh file nominations

23 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Delhi

Udit Raj asks BJP to clear confusion over his candidature

23 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Delhi

AAP leads mega roadshow on way to file papers

23 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Delhi

Sunday Edition

Valmiki community fields candidates on all LS seats

21 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Sunday Pioneer

CM thwarted PMAY in city: Gupta

21 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Sunday Pioneer

Shiela inaugurates control room for poll campaign

21 April 2019 | Staff Reporter | Sunday Pioneer

Cong pursues vote bhakti, we have desh bhakti: Modi

21 April 2019 | PTI | Sunday Pioneer

Ditch smartphones & read history, Gehlot asks youth

21 April 2019 | PTI | Sunday Pioneer

Shatrughan taunts BJP over poll losses in 3 States last yr

21 April 2019 | PTI | Sunday Pioneer