In a rare outburst, NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Wednesday publicly debunked grandnephew Parth Pawar’s demand to hand over the Sushant Singh Rajput case to the CBI, by saying that the latter’s demand “is not worth a nickel” and that he had 100 per cent confidence in the Maharashtra police.
Talking to mediapersons here, the NCP chief strongly disapproved of Parth’s demand for a CBI probe into Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajpuit’s death. “His statement is not worth even a nickel. He is immature. I have 100 per cent confidence in the investigation skills of the Maharashtra police”.
Parth is the son of Maharashtra’s Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar who incidentally is the nephew of the NCP chief.
Sr Pawar’s disapproval of Parth’s demand came in the wake of the latter meeting State Home Minister Anil Deshmukh and handing him over a letter demanding a CBI inquiry into the Sushant Singh Rajput death case.
When asked to comment on the NCP chief’s comment, Parth said: “I have nothing to say on Pawar saheb’s comment”.
The NCP chief’s disapproval of Parth’s demand for CBI probe into the Sushant Singh Rajput case should be context of the Opposition BJP’s demand that the sensational case be handed over to the Central agency in view of the allegations linking the case to Maharashtra Minister Aaditya Thackeray, who is the son of Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, in the case involving the actor’s alleged suicide.
On its part, the Maharashtra Government has opposed the transfer of the Sushant Kumar Singh suicide case to the CBI on the jurisdiction issue.
At a hearing took place on Tuesday on a plea by Rhea Chakraborty seeking to transfer the probe in the case registered against her in the matter from Patna to Mumbai, senior advocate Dr Abhisek Manu Singhvi - representing the Maharashtra Government - submitted a detailed probe status report in a sealed cover to the apex court.
Opposing the transfer of the case to the CBI, Singhvi said: “Can I transfer something that I don’t own? The Bihar Government is extremely generous in transferring something that he has no jurisdiction in dealing with. Everything is in Mumbai. Father lives in Bihar and sister lives in Chandigarh”. He questioned the Bihar Government for recommending a CBI probe in the matter.
“The only exception to the State consent is if and when the Supreme Court of India comes to the conclusion that there are ‘extraordinary circumstances’, then-Supreme Court can transfer the investigation in the case,” Singhvi submitted.
Earlier on August 8, Mahrashatra Home Minister Amit Deshmukh had said that while his Government would oppose the Centre’s decision to hand over the investigations into actor Sushant Rajput’s alleged suicide on the grounds of jurisdiction, but it would abide by the impending Supreme Court in a case in connection with Sushant’s “suspicious death”.
At its hearing on Tuesday, the apex court had asked the Centre, the Maharashtra and Bihar Governments to file written affidavits of all precedent judgments compiled before the court by August 13.