UP singes in coronavirus fire with 27,357 new, 120 deaths

| | Lucknow
  • 0

UP singes in coronavirus fire with 27,357 new, 120 deaths

Sunday, 18 April 2021 | PNS | Lucknow

Uttar Pradesh continues to singe in the coronavirus fire with the state, on Saturday, reporting 120 COVID-19 deaths and 27,357 new infections during the past 24 hours.

There are about 1.5 lakh active COVID-19 cases in the state and about 75 per cent of these patients are in home isolation. Four districts -- Lucknow, Varanasi, Prayagraj and Kanpur Nagar -- have 60 per cent of the state's active case while the remaining 71 districts have 40 per cent cases.

 State capital Lucknow reported 5,913 new positive cases during the past 24 hours. Along with Lucknow, the Covid situation remained grim in Varanasi, Kanpur Nagar and Prayagraj.

Additional Chief Secretary (Medical and Health) Amit Mohan Prasad said here on Saturday that the state was expanding the scope of investigation.  A total of 2,23,307 samples were examined on Friday. A total of 3,78,14,182 samples have been tested in the state so far, he added.

In Lucknow, Additional Chief Secretary (Information) Navneet Sehgal and District Magistrate Abhishek Prakash have tested positive for novel coronavirus infection along with DGP HC Awasthi.

A report from Agra said that 398 new cases of novel coronavirus infection were detected during the past 24 hours. The Taj City has 1,906 active cases and its COVID-19 death toll reached 188 on Saturday evening.

 In Gonda, MP Kirtivardhan Singh and former state ministers Yogesh Pratap Singh and Pandit Singh have tested positive. Now all the big leaders of the district are in home quarantine. 

In Ballia, 476 new coronavirus infected people were detected during the past 24 hours. The district now has 2,538 active cases.

Earlier on Friday, 27,426 new cases of coronavirus infection were found. The highest number of 6,598 positive cases was reported in Lucknow, followed by 2,344 in Varanasi, 1,758 in Prayagraj and 1,403 in Kanpur Nagar.

Meanwhile, Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Awanish Kumar Awasthi inspected Covid hospitals in Lucknow. He inspected Integral, Era and TS Mishra Medical Colleges, which are now dedicated Covid hospitals. He was accompanied by the principal secretary (medical education) and commissioner of police of Lucknow. Awasthi inspected the medical colleges with a team and watched the system.

Sunday Edition

Gloom & Doom

09 May 2021 | Tarun Sibal | Agenda

Climate Change & India

09 May 2021 | Mohit Garg | Agenda

Gender and Disasters: The India story

09 May 2021 | Shreya Basu | Agenda

Astroturf | Saraswati & Ganapati connect

09 May 2021 | Bharat Bhushan Padmadeo | Agenda

Need to promote diversity in judiciary

09 May 2021 | Lokendra Malik | Agenda

Corona faqs

09 May 2021 | Pioneer | Sunday Pioneer