The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) on Wednesday conducted an anti-encroachment drive on the periphery of the Jadid Qabristan Ahle Islam at ITO, Delhi’s biggest graveyard for Muslims at Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg and demolished 50 permanent structures built “illegally” on public land, having an area of 1,800 square metres.
According to the MCD, the encroachers were provided the “necessary opportunity” to furnish their ownership documents before carrying out the action. The demolition was carried out by the civic body after the Delhi High Court issued orders and officials said the action may continue on Thursday as well.
After the drive, the MCD issued a statement and said that on the instructions of the Delhi High Court, it had carried out a major encroachment removal drive in the ITO area in which around 50 permanent structures built on the service lane behind the Times of India building were demolished.
“In this encroachment removal drive, three JCB machines and five trucks were used. As many as 50 permanent structures in the form of shops, godowns, offices, tea stalls, etc were demolished and approximately 1,800 square metre of public land was freed,” the MCD said in the statement.
Earlier, the MCD has sought police backup to carry out a two-day anti-encroachment drive to remove alleged illegal structures on the periphery of the graveyard.
In a communication sent to the Delhi Police by the executive engineer of the MCD central zone, the civic body said that the necessary opportunity had been provided to the encroachers to show their documents to prove their ownership but none of them could submit ownership
“Accordingly, an encroachment removal programme has been fixed for June 22 and 23. It is requested to provide adequate police force along with policewomen for maintaining law and order,” the communication said.