BUSINESS & FINANCE
Airtel ties up with Telecom Egypt for global submarine cable systems
Telecom major Bharti Airtel on Monday announced a strategic partnership with Egyptian operator Telecom Egypt (TE), which would allow Airtel to use the Middle East North Africa (MENA) Submarine Cable and TE North cable systems.
The partnership would help Airtel to serve the growing demand for data services, particularly in markets across South Asia, Africa and the Middle East, the company said in a statement.
"The partnership grants Airtel the right to use fibre pairs of MENA Cable from Egypt to India with access to Saudi Arabia and Oman, and other fibre pairs from Egypt towards Italy," it said.
Airtel would also take "large capacities on a long-term basis on two new cable systems (SMW5 and AAE1)" and get the right to use a fibre pair from Egypt to France on TE North cable systems along with capacities on SMW-5 and AAE-1 cable systems.
Commenting on the partnership, Ajay Chitkara, Director and CEO, Airtel Business said, "The partnership including MENA Cable and TE's network will be a good addition to our global network portfolio and provide us with a high quality and diversified new route to Western Europe and the rest of the world."
"In particular, it will provide impetus to India's emergence as a major regional Internet hub serving customers across Saarc region, with seamless global connectivity," he added.
As per the statement, Telecom Egypt's global network was built by investments in international submarine cable systems, namely: TE North, ALETAR, SEA-ME-WE-3, SEA-ME-WE-4, SEA-ME-WE-5, IMEWE, EIG, and AAE-1.
- India will be back on 7.5% plus growth track this fiscal: Virmani 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Intel India trains 99,000 people in artificial intelligence 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee might stabilise at 68-69 a dollar: Garg 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- FCCU shutdown not impacting Jamnagar refining biz:RIL 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Infosys CFO Ranganath resigns 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India clocked 10.08 pc growth under Manmohan Singh's tenure, shows data 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Operators must pay attention to cyber security, reasonableness of charges: Patel 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- PVR completes acquisition of 71.6% stake of SPI Cinemas 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Apollo ties up with Microsoft for AI-powered CDV Risk Score 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Jet Airways board to meet on Aug 27 to consider June quarter results 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...