BUSINESS & FINANCE
Banks collect Rs 5,000cr from customers in FY18 for breaching min balance
As many as 21 public sector banks and three major private sector lenders collected a whopping Rs 5,000 crore from customers for non-maintenance of minimum balance in their accounts in 2017-18, according to banking data.
India's largest lender State Bank of India, which suffered a staggering net loss of Rs 6,547 crore during 2017-18, led the pack in penalising its customers for not maintaining minimum account balance.
The government-owned SBI, which re-introduced the penalty on deposits going below monthly average balance basis from April 2017, collected nearly half the amount raised by the 24 banks put together (Rs 4,989.55 crore).
But for the additional income of Rs 2,433.87 crore under this head, SBI's losses would have soared further.
After SBI, the largest amount of charges for not maintaining minimum balance during 2017-18 was collected by HDFC Bank. It charged its customers Rs 590.84 crore, which is lower than Rs 619.39 crore in 2016-17, the data revealed.
Axis Bank collected Rs 530.12 crore in the last fiscal while ICICI Bank charged Rs 317.6 crore.
SBI was charging the penalty on failure to maintain monthly average balance requirement till 2012 and again re-introduced it from April 1, 2017.
Following the criticism, SBI reduced charges with effect from October 1, 2017.
According to the RBI norms, banks are permitted to levy sevice/miscellaneous charges.
Customers opening accounts under Basic Savings Bank Deposit (BSBD) scheme as well as Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna are not required to maintain any minimum balance.
- India will be back on 7.5% plus growth track this fiscal: Virmani 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Intel India trains 99,000 people in artificial intelligence 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee might stabilise at 68-69 a dollar: Garg 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- FCCU shutdown not impacting Jamnagar refining biz:RIL 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Infosys CFO Ranganath resigns 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India clocked 10.08 pc growth under Manmohan Singh's tenure, shows data 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Operators must pay attention to cyber security, reasonableness of charges: Patel 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- PVR completes acquisition of 71.6% stake of SPI Cinemas 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Apollo ties up with Microsoft for AI-powered CDV Risk Score 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Jet Airways board to meet on Aug 27 to consider June quarter results 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...