- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
BUSINESS & FINANCE
Jaitley calls for more Centre-state cooperation in farm sector
Union minister Arun Jaitley today suggested a uniform set of policies for the agriculture sector across the country so that farmers benefit the most and their income doubles.
The agriculture sector is an area that bothers both the Centre and the states with both the governments making policies for the sector, Jaitley said while addressing the 37th foundation day of farm-focused lender Nabard through a video link, and added the same approach that helped roll out GST can be adopted in the case of farm policies as well.
"If there is any area in the economy where we can give an example to the world and to ourselves of co-operative federalism, it's the agriculture sector. It can benefit the people more than what GST has done," said Jaitley.
He also said GST is the first example of the Centre and the states coming together to run a new tax regime on the basis of federal structure.
If the states and the Centre support each other on the basis of this federal model, the farm sector will reap the maximum benefits, which Jaitley said will uplift the farmers and help in achieving the target of increasing their income by two times.
He pointed out that states which focused on the agriculture sector by increasing farmers income have been re-elected and those who neglected the priorities of this sector, have paid the price.
Earlier, after addressing the Nabard celebrations, junior finance minister SP Shukla said the government has finalised eight names for the post of managing directors and chief executive officers of state-run banks, but did not say when the announcements will be made public.
Earlier this month, the Banks Board Bureau (BBB) recommended names of 14 senior officials for these posts for various public sector banks.
It has also suggested appointing State Bank of India's chief financial officer Anshula Kant as a managing director of the nation's largest lender.
- No proposal before TRAI to amend interconnection usage charges 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Markets open on higher note on Wednesday 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- How the PM Awas Yojana is transforming the home-buying process 18 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Airbus appoints new India head for its helicopters business 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India asks Oman to cut customs duties on chemical products 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhi airport dues: Civil Aviation Min to hold discussions with Home Min 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Technoology driving BFSI sector to grow: TCS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Finmin approves Rs 11,336 cr capital infusion in 5 PSU Banks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Tata Motors introduces AMT in Nexon mid-variant 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Nestle India market cap crosses Rs 1 lakh cr 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...