- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
BUSINESS & FINANCE
Petroleum products to be brought under GST in stages, says Adhia
Finance Secretary Hasmukh Adhia today said the all powerful GST Council will consider bringing petroleum products under Goods and Services Tax (GST) and it could happen in phases.
Speaking on the issue, Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs Chairman S Ramesh said although there is demand for bringing petroleum products under GST, the GST Council will have to finalise modalities.
Currently, diesel, petrol, crude oil, natural gas and aviation turbine fuel are outside the purview of goods and services tax, and states have the right to impose value added tax on these items.
"One of the demands that is there before us, we will see... Everything will happen in stages," Adhia said at an event here.
The civil aviation ministry has time and again voiced its concern on the high rate of taxes on aviation turbine fuel, which accounts for a significant chunk of an airline's operational costs and also has a bearing on air fares.
Earlier, the civil aviation ministry had also written to the finance ministry seeking the inclusion of jet fuel under the indirect tax regime with full input tax credit at the earliest.
The finance ministry has expressed its intention to include natural gas and ATF within the purview of the goods and services tax soon.
"We have done a lot but that it does not mean that there is no scope for betterment of the existing system. We still believe that we need to do a lot more and we are working in that direction," Adhia said.
On the issue of automation of refund, he said it was meant to be automated right from day one but unfortunately people made so many mistakes in filing return that the income-tax department had to get into manual mode at the last moment.
"We are again trying to make it completely automatic, the entire refund process. This is next thing. In terms of simplification of rates, slabs, we do understand need for it but we did what was best in the given scenario.
"We could not have done anything other than this because we had to take care of revenue, we had to take care of concern of poor. Certainly we must move in that direction of something better than that," the secretary said.
The GST currently has four slabs --5 per cent, 12 per cent, 18 per cent and 28 per cent.
The GST Council, in November, had reduced the tax rate on 178 items from 28 per cent to 18 per cent.
- No proposal before TRAI to amend interconnection usage charges 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Markets open on higher note on Wednesday 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- How the PM Awas Yojana is transforming the home-buying process 18 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Airbus appoints new India head for its helicopters business 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India asks Oman to cut customs duties on chemical products 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhi airport dues: Civil Aviation Min to hold discussions with Home Min 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Technoology driving BFSI sector to grow: TCS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Finmin approves Rs 11,336 cr capital infusion in 5 PSU Banks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Tata Motors introduces AMT in Nexon mid-variant 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Nestle India market cap crosses Rs 1 lakh cr 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...