BUSINESS & FINANCE
Representations against Flipkart-Walmart deal sent to concerned dept: Govt
The government today said it has received representations from trade bodies alleging irregularities in various aspects of the proposed acquisition of Flipkart by Walmart and that have been sent to concerned agencies for necessary action.
"Yes," Minister of State for Commerce and Industry C R Chaudhary said on a question whether the government has received representations from various trade bodies urging to quote into the modalities concerning the merger of Flipkart and Walmart allegedly circumventing the FDI policy/guidelines on e-commerce.
"The representations received have alleged irregularities in various aspects of the proposed acquisition of shares of Flipkart by Walmart. These representations have been sent to the concerned bodies of the government for necessary action," he said.
In May, the US-based retailer Walmart Inc announced acquisition of 77 per cent stake in Flipkart in its biggest takeover till date. The deal values the 11-year old Indian e-commerce firm at USD 20.8 billion.
Replying to a separate question, the minister said during the last three years (from July 2015 onwards), in matters relating to five cases, certain irregularities have come to notice due to which the State Trading Corporation had suffered financial losses.
"Three cases were referred by STC to CBI. FIR has been lodged in one case with local police. In addition, STC has initiated disciplinary proceedings in four cases," he said.
The corporation has recorded Rs 38 crore profit after tax in 2017-18 as against a loss of Rs 166 crore in 2016-17.
- India will be back on 7.5% plus growth track this fiscal: Virmani 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Intel India trains 99,000 people in artificial intelligence 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee might stabilise at 68-69 a dollar: Garg 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- FCCU shutdown not impacting Jamnagar refining biz:RIL 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Infosys CFO Ranganath resigns 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India clocked 10.08 pc growth under Manmohan Singh's tenure, shows data 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Operators must pay attention to cyber security, reasonableness of charges: Patel 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- PVR completes acquisition of 71.6% stake of SPI Cinemas 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Apollo ties up with Microsoft for AI-powered CDV Risk Score 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Jet Airways board to meet on Aug 27 to consider June quarter results 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...