- No-confidence motion against Modi government defeated
- I want to assure people of Andhra Pradesh that they will not be left behind : PM
- I am 'chowkidar' and 'bhagidar', but not a 'saudagar' like you: PM to Rahul Gandh
- PM Modi to visit South Africa, attend BRICS Summit from July 23
- LS takes up for discussion no-trust vote against Modi govt
- Shiv Sena MPs to remain absent for no-trust motion against Modi govt
- India, US first '2+2 dialogue' on September 6: State Department
BUSINESS & FINANCE
States slip on fiscal targets on farm loan waivers, GST: RBI
Higher expenditure on salaries and farm loan waivers, coupled with a revenue shortfall on GST implementation, led to a slippage of 0.35 per cent in states' fiscal targets to 3.1 per cent in 2017-18, the RBI said today.
This is the third consecutive year where the states have failed to meet their gross fiscal deficit (GFD) target, the central bank said, adding this comes despite expectations of an improvement on higher devolution from the Centre.
For FY19, states are hoping for a 0.2 per cent revenue surplus as against a revenue deficit of 0.4 per cent as per the revised estimates, which will lead to an overall GFD of 2.6 per cent, against 3.1 per cent in FY18, it said.
At a country-wide level, farm loan waivers alone contributed to a third of the overall slippage worries, with a 0.05 per cent slippage of the overall 0.13 per cent on revenue expenditure, the RBI said in its study on state finances based on state budgets.
The apex bank reiterated its concerns on the "moral hazard" farm loan waivers, saying their track record for improving productivity is "unproven".
Moreover, studies suggest that the debt waivers have also led to a shift to informal sources of finance, it said, adding that they also possess a risk to inflation.
Starting with Andhra Pradesh and Telangana in 2014, a slew of states including Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and now Karnataka have announced the sops.
In FY18, farm loan waivers touched 0.32 per cent of the GDP as against budget estimates of 0.27 per cent, it said, adding that more such moves are pending for the fiscals ahead.
States which have announced the waivers have also reported a decline in capital expenditure, it said, adding development has also been a casualty because of it.
"They (waivers) impact credit discipline, vitiate credit culture and dis-incentivise borrowers to repay loans, thus engendering moral hazard," the study said.
Hikes in salaries, mainly as a higher proportion of states implement proposals in line with the seventh pay panel, resulted in 0.09 per cent slippage on the revenue expenditure.
There was a 0.27 per cent impact in the GFD on account of the revenue shortfall, and the study attributed the same to implementation of the goods and services tax (GST).
"The decline in states' tax revenues is essentially associated with the pending accounting issues related to GST implementation," it said.
However, in his foreword, RBI's executive director Michael Patra said that as the GST stabilises, it should boost states' revenue capacity and support fiscal consolidation.
He, however, asked states to be more cognizant on the expenditure management in the future as "visible fiscal pressures" are emerging for several states on pay revisions, interest payments and farm loan waivers.
"Given debt sustainability concerns associated with rising market borrowings, improved efficiency of expenditures and fiscal marksmanship may be necessary to sustain growth while maintaining fiscal prudence," he said.
- Wipro Q1 net profit up 2% to Rs 2,120.8 crore 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Sebi invites PACL, 3 others for preliminary discussion next week 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Govt in process to frame net neutrality rules, amend telecom licence: Sinha 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- HDFC Life net jumps 20% to Rs 380cr 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Paysense raises $18 mn in a round led by Payu 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- How To Use Your Credit Card Wisely To Build A Good Credit Score? 20 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Rupee hits all-time low of 69.12 against US dollar 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Higher interest rate in US, trade issues pose capital flight risk for India: S&P 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Lexus launches ES 300h sedan priced at Rs 59.13 lakh in India 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Early investments in disruptive technologies resulting in Successful outcomes: Premji 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Governor Anandiben Patel has said that tourism has enhanced in Madhya Pradesh in recent years. Employment to maximum people could be provided through tourism industry...