- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
BUSINESS & FINANCE
States slip on fiscal targets on farm loan waivers, GST: RBI
Higher expenditure on salaries and farm loan waivers, coupled with a revenue shortfall on GST implementation, led to a slippage of 0.35 per cent in states' fiscal targets to 3.1 per cent in 2017-18, the RBI said today.
This is the third consecutive year where the states have failed to meet their gross fiscal deficit (GFD) target, the central bank said, adding this comes despite expectations of an improvement on higher devolution from the Centre.
For FY19, states are hoping for a 0.2 per cent revenue surplus as against a revenue deficit of 0.4 per cent as per the revised estimates, which will lead to an overall GFD of 2.6 per cent, against 3.1 per cent in FY18, it said.
At a country-wide level, farm loan waivers alone contributed to a third of the overall slippage worries, with a 0.05 per cent slippage of the overall 0.13 per cent on revenue expenditure, the RBI said in its study on state finances based on state budgets.
The apex bank reiterated its concerns on the "moral hazard" farm loan waivers, saying their track record for improving productivity is "unproven".
Moreover, studies suggest that the debt waivers have also led to a shift to informal sources of finance, it said, adding that they also possess a risk to inflation.
Starting with Andhra Pradesh and Telangana in 2014, a slew of states including Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and now Karnataka have announced the sops.
In FY18, farm loan waivers touched 0.32 per cent of the GDP as against budget estimates of 0.27 per cent, it said, adding that more such moves are pending for the fiscals ahead.
States which have announced the waivers have also reported a decline in capital expenditure, it said, adding development has also been a casualty because of it.
"They (waivers) impact credit discipline, vitiate credit culture and dis-incentivise borrowers to repay loans, thus engendering moral hazard," the study said.
Hikes in salaries, mainly as a higher proportion of states implement proposals in line with the seventh pay panel, resulted in 0.09 per cent slippage on the revenue expenditure.
There was a 0.27 per cent impact in the GFD on account of the revenue shortfall, and the study attributed the same to implementation of the goods and services tax (GST).
"The decline in states' tax revenues is essentially associated with the pending accounting issues related to GST implementation," it said.
However, in his foreword, RBI's executive director Michael Patra said that as the GST stabilises, it should boost states' revenue capacity and support fiscal consolidation.
He, however, asked states to be more cognizant on the expenditure management in the future as "visible fiscal pressures" are emerging for several states on pay revisions, interest payments and farm loan waivers.
"Given debt sustainability concerns associated with rising market borrowings, improved efficiency of expenditures and fiscal marksmanship may be necessary to sustain growth while maintaining fiscal prudence," he said.
- No proposal before TRAI to amend interconnection usage charges 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Markets open on higher note on Wednesday 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- How the PM Awas Yojana is transforming the home-buying process 18 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Airbus appoints new India head for its helicopters business 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India asks Oman to cut customs duties on chemical products 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhi airport dues: Civil Aviation Min to hold discussions with Home Min 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Technoology driving BFSI sector to grow: TCS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Finmin approves Rs 11,336 cr capital infusion in 5 PSU Banks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Tata Motors introduces AMT in Nexon mid-variant 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Nestle India market cap crosses Rs 1 lakh cr 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...