BUSINESS & FINANCE
Steel production rises 5.1%, consumption up 4.2% in April-November
India's production of finished steel from April to November rose by 5.1 per cent to 69.604 million tonnes while consumption grew by 4.2 per cent to 56.788 million tonnes during the period, a Steel Ministry report said.
"Production of finished steel at 69.604 million tonnes registered a growth of 5.1 per cent during April-November 2017 over the same period last year. India's consumption of total finished steel saw a growth of 4.2 per cent in April-November 2017 (to 56.788 million tonnes) over the same period last year, under the influence of rising production for sale and imports," the Ministry's Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) report said.
SAIL, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd, TSL, Essar, JSW Steel Ltd and Jindal Steel and Power Limited together produced 40.224 million tonnes of finished steel for sale during the first eight months of the current fiscal, which was a growth of nine per cent over the same period last year.
The report said overall production for sale of total finished steel at 8.342 million tonnes in November only was down by 9.7 per ent over October 2017 but grew by 6.4 per cent over corresponding month last year.
"During April-November 2017, crude steel production was 66.70 million tonnes, a growth of 4.5 per cent over same period last year, the report said.
According to it, the consumption at 6.412 million tonnes in the last month (November) was up by 1.9 per cent over same month last financial year.
However, India's import of total finished steel at 5.534 million tonnes in April-November was up by 16.9 per cent over the same period last year and imports in November only was at 0.614 million tonnes, up by 2.5 per cent over te year-ago month.
The report said India's total finished steel exports grew by 57.1 per cent to 6.639 million tonnes in the first eight months of the current fiscal compared with same period last year.
"Overall exports in November 2017, at 1.012 million tonnes, was up by 29.9 per cent over October 2017 and up by 53.6 per cent over November 2016," it added.
- Rupee rebounds from life lows, up 33 paise at 69.82 vs USD 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Anil Ambani to Rahul Gandhi: Congress misinformed on Rafale deal 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- RBI staff to go on mass leave on Sept 4, 5 over pension issues 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Assocham opens N.America office to boost trade ties with US 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sensex hits record high, Nifty breaches 11,500 mark 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- UPA policies to promote growth led to macro instability: Jaitley 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Mallya case: ED to appeal against PMLA tribunal order de-freezing select assets 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ONGC repays a third of loan taken to buy HPCL 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- DLF-GIC to invest Rs 1,250 cr for housing project in central Delhi 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India will be back on 7.5% plus growth track this fiscal: Virmani 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The beauty of city of lakes painted through vibrant colours and the eye catching shades over canvas spellbound the art appreciators. A group painting exhibition is being put up at Swaraj Bhavan Art Gallery that began here from Monday...