- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
BUSINESS & FINANCE
Tax obligations in Flipkart acquisition will be fulfilled: Walmart tells I-T dept
US retail giant Walmart has assured the Indian income tax department that it will fulfil all tax obligations on its proposed USD 16 billion Flipkart buyout, an official said today.
In May, the I-T department had written to Bentonville-Arkansas-based Walmart, saying that the US company can seek guidance about the tax liability under Section 195 (2) of the I-T Act.
This was after Walmart, on May 9, announced that it will pay approximately USD 16 billion to buy about 77 per cent stake in Flipkart.
Under Section 195 of the Act, anyone making payment to non-residents is required to deduct tax (commonly known as withholding tax).
"Walmart has replied to the letter saying they will fulfill all tax obligations," an official said.
However, the US company has not yet approached the I-T department for consultation with regard to computation of tax liability, the official added.
Significant shareholders in Flipkart, like SoftBank, Naspers, venture fund Accel Partners and eBay, have agreed to sell their shares. Also co-founder Sachin Bansal would be selling his stake to the US retail major.
The tax department had earlier said that it would initiate action on the tax aspect of Walmart's buyout of Flipkart only after the deal gets required regulatory clearances.
Bengaluru-based e-commerce major Flipkart has already shared 'some details' with the tax authorities and any notice seeking details of taxes withheld could be sent by I-T department only after the deal is complete.
The department has been studying Section 9 (1) of the income tax law, which deals with indirect transfer provisions, to see if the benefits under the bilateral tax treaties with countries like Singapore and Mauritius, could be available for foreign investors selling stakes to Walmart.
Singapore-registered Flipkart Pvt Ltd holds majority stake in Flipkart India.
According to experts, the only regulatory clearance that the deal would need is from the Comptetion Commission of India (CCI).
Walmart had in May approached fair trade regulator CCI for approval of its proposed acquisition of a majority stake in e-commerce major Flipkart, saying the deal doesn't raise any competition concerns.
Regulatory clearances have become important in the wake of complaints filed by RSS-affiliate Swadeshi Jagran Manch (SJM) to the Department of Industrial policy and Promotion (DIPP) alleging that US retail giant Walmart was 'circumventing' rules for a 'back-door entry' into India.
The DIPP has referred SJM's complaint to the Enforcement Directorate, Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Comptetion Commission of India (CCI) and the income tax department.
Besides, traders body CAIT too has complained to the Enforcement Directorate for alleged violation of the government's foreign direct investment (FDI) policy.
It has also approached the CCI, saying that the deal will create unfair competition and an uneven level playing field for domestic players.
- No proposal before TRAI to amend interconnection usage charges 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Markets open on higher note on Wednesday 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- How the PM Awas Yojana is transforming the home-buying process 18 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Airbus appoints new India head for its helicopters business 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India asks Oman to cut customs duties on chemical products 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhi airport dues: Civil Aviation Min to hold discussions with Home Min 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Technoology driving BFSI sector to grow: TCS 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Finmin approves Rs 11,336 cr capital infusion in 5 PSU Banks 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Tata Motors introduces AMT in Nexon mid-variant 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Nestle India market cap crosses Rs 1 lakh cr 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...