- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
‘Air India divestment announcement well thought out’
The recent announcement of the Government towards privatisation of Air India is a “well thought out decision”, the Economic Survey II said on Friday.
According to the Survey, there is a need for committed action plan on “privatisation and disinvestment of the national carrier Air India to enhance its operational and management efficiency”.
It is a major carrier of international traffic to and from India, accounting for 11.4 per cent of the total international travel, it added.
In June, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) gave its in-principle approval to the strategic divestment of Air India and its five subsidiaries.
The “recent announcement of the Government towards privatisation of Air India is a well thought-out decision”, the Survey said.
A group of ministers, headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, is working on the modalities of the proposed divestment.
The airline is surviving on taxpayers’ money. The turnaround plan, approved by the previous UPA Government in 2012, provides for equity infusion of Rs 30,231 crore up to 2021, subject to the national carrier achieving certain milestones.
As part of the plan, various steps have been taken to cut costs and losses. These include route rationalisation and enhanced utilisation of new fleet.
The carrier has a debt burden of more than Rs 50,000 crore.
- Business Corner 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- India’s inflation mounts to 54-month high 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India earns Rs 18K cr per year from export of basmati rice 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Britannia rolls out Rs 170-cr unit in Assam; to hire 1,000 persons 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Infosys shares end nearly 2 pc up after Q1 earnings 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Data belongs to individual users, says TRAI urging strong safeguards against misuse 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- JLR launches F-TYPE sports car 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rupee slips six paise against US dollar 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India Inc’s Jan-Jun deal tally at $74.8 bn on big-ticket deals 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- LIC gets board’s nod to buy majority stake in IDBI Bank 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...