Alibaba may pump in $300 mn in BigBasket
Alibaba will pump in up to $300 million in online grocery player, BigBasket, according to industry sources.
The deal, which is expected to be announced in the next few weeks, will give BigBasket more muscle to compete against rivals like Grofers and e-tailing giant Amazon, they said. The sources did not wish to be identified as the discussions are private.
BigBasket declined to comment. An Alibaba spokesperson said: “As a matter of policy, we do not comment on market speculation”.
In November, the Chinese e-commerce major had sought approval of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for acquiring stake in BigBasket.
Investing in BigBasket would help Alibaba add more muscle to take on the US-based rival Amazon, while for Paytm, the move would further strengthen its play in the Indian e- commerce space.
Amazon India has received government's approval for its proposed $500 million for retail in food sector. It is also ramping up its business in the segment with Amazon Pantry and Amazon Now.
BigBasket has operations in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi-NCR, Ahmedabad, Patna, Kolkata, Jaipur, Vijayawada, Indore, Punjab and Lucknow.
The company has raised over $200 million from investors including Abraaj Group, Bessemer Venture Partners, Growthstory, Helion Venture Partners, IFC and Sands Capital.
With people becoming comfortable buying even milk and bread online, the online grocery segment is projected to witness a strong growth over the next few years in India.
According to a report by Franchise India, the online grocery market is expected to be Rs 2.7 billion market by 2018-19.
- Business Corner 15 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- No decision to shift Aero India from Bengaluru: Min 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 5,600 job seekers at HCL drive 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Wholesale inflation slows at 5.09% in July 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- GDP likely to grow 7.4% in FY'19: FICCI 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sensex, Nifty regain on strong macro,Turkish lira rebound 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee hits all-time low 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rain fury affects Kerala's tourism, plantation sectors 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- DHFL Q1 Net Profit up by 35% at Rs 435 Crore 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Sebi comes out with list of 1,677 defaulters 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...