Bitcoin at new high of $15, 242
Bitcoin ploughed past $15,000 to a fresh record on Thursday, triggering a warning the cryptocurrency was “like a charging train with no brakes” and prompting fresh concern about its looming launch on mainstream markets.
It struck a new high of $15,242.99 around 1030 GMT (1600 IST), according to Bloomberg News.
The rally came just a day after the virtual currency, which has been used to buy everything from an ice cream to a pint of beer, hit the $12,000 mark for the first time, while it has soared more than 50 per cent in value in just one week.
Bitcoin — which came into being in 2009 as a bit of encrypted software and has no central bank backing it and no legal exchange rate — has risen from a 2017 low of $752 in mid-January and surged dramatically in the past month.
The increased interest has been driven by growing acceptance among traditional investors of an innovation once considered the preserve of computer nerds and financial experts. But some, including the US Federal Reserve, have warned against dabbling in bitcoin as it could threaten financial stability, and fears of a bubble have increased as the price has soared.
“Bitcoin now seems like a charging train with no brakes,” said Shane Chanel, from Sydney-based ASR Wealth Advisers. “There is an unfathomable amount of new participants piling into the cryptocurrency market."
- Business Corner 15 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- No decision to shift Aero India from Bengaluru: Min 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 5,600 job seekers at HCL drive 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Wholesale inflation slows at 5.09% in July 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- GDP likely to grow 7.4% in FY'19: FICCI 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sensex, Nifty regain on strong macro,Turkish lira rebound 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee hits all-time low 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rain fury affects Kerala's tourism, plantation sectors 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- DHFL Q1 Net Profit up by 35% at Rs 435 Crore 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Sebi comes out with list of 1,677 defaulters 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...