Cabinet clears HDFC Bank’s proposal to raise Rs 24,000 cr via FDI
The Government on Wednesday approved the proposal of HDFC Bank to raise additional capital Rs 24,000 crore by selling equity to foreign investors to fund its business growth.
This includes premium, over and above the previous approved limit of Rs 10,000 crore, that the composite foreign shareholding in the bank should not exceed 74 per cent of the enhanced paid-up equity share capital of the bank, Finance Minister Piyush Goyal said after the Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
With the raising of this capital, FDI in the bank will hit the regulatory ceiling of 74 per cent, he said.
Currently, the FDI in the banks stands at 72.62 per cent.
As per the RBI guidelines, foreign holding in public sector banks in India cannot go beyond 74 per cent.
“The decision would ensure that the composite foreign shareholding in the bank inclusive of all types of foreign investments, both direct and indirect, will not exceed 74 per cent of the enhanced paid-up equity share capital of the bank,” the minister said.
It will be subject to Foreign Direct Investment Policy conditionalities and other sectoral regulations or guidelines.
The proposed investment is expected to strengthen the capital adequacy ratio of the bank, he said.
Of the additional Rs 24,000 crore, Rs 8,500 crore is proposed to be allotted to HDFC Ltd, the promoter of the bank, on a preferential basis.
Remaining amount to be raised by issue of equity shares or convertible securities or depository receipts pursuant to a Qualified Institutions Placement, HDFC Bank had said.
It is to be noted that the Cabinet in 2015 cleared a proposal of HDFC Bank to raise Rs 10,000 crore from foreign investors.
- Business Corner 15 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- No decision to shift Aero India from Bengaluru: Min 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 5,600 job seekers at HCL drive 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Wholesale inflation slows at 5.09% in July 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- GDP likely to grow 7.4% in FY'19: FICCI 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sensex, Nifty regain on strong macro,Turkish lira rebound 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee hits all-time low 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rain fury affects Kerala's tourism, plantation sectors 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- DHFL Q1 Net Profit up by 35% at Rs 435 Crore 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Sebi comes out with list of 1,677 defaulters 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...