IIP output contracts 01% in June
Industrial output entered the negative territory in June contracting by 0.1 per cent mainly due to decline in manufacturing and capital goods sectors.
Besides, segments like mining, power generation, infrastructure/construction goods and consumer durables recorded poor performance.
Factory output, measured in terms of Index of Industrial Production, grew 8 per cent in June 2016, according to the data released by the Central Statistics Office on Friday.
On a quarterly basis, factory output growth during April-June slowed down to 2 per cent from 7.1 per cent in the corresponding period last year.
This is the first time in the current fiscal, the industrial output has shown a decline. The IIP grew by 3.4 per cent in April and 2.8 per cent May as per the revised estimates released on Friday.
Manufacturing sector, which constitutes over 77 per cent of the index, showed a decline of 0.4 per cent in June as compared to a growth of 7.5 per cent in the same month last year.
The output of mining and electricity sectors during the month decelerated to 0.4 per cent and 2.1 per cent from 10.2 per cent and 9.8 per cent respectively in June last year.
Capital goods output, which is the barometer of investment, declined by 6.8 per cent from a growth of 14.8 per cent a year ago.
Similarly, the output of primary goods and intermediate goods during the month declined by 0.2 per cent and 0.6 per cent as against growth of 8.2 per cent and 6 per cent respectively during June last year.
- TechnipFMC wins order from HPCL 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 10 e-commerce firms asked to delist non-licensed food operators 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Corporate Results 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Markets climb on IT, pharma push 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Farmers' rally expresses ‘no trust' in Modi Govt 21 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Business Corner 21 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Tata Steel keen to exit SE Asia ops, other non-scalable assets 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Wipro net flat yearly, 16% up quarterly in Q1 21 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Cloud-driven Microsoft crosses $100bn 21 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Modi and Xi to meet during BRICS summit 21 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...