‘Normal monsoon to help achieve agri output’
Enthused by Met Department’s forecast of a normal monsoon, Agriculture Secretary S K Pattanayak today said the country’s foodgrain production may surpass this year’s record high of 277.49 million tonne (MT).
Southwest monsoon is the lifeline of India’s agriculture as well as overall economy. Over 50 per cent of the country’s population is dependent on farming and about 15 per cent of the GDP comes from agriculture and allied sectors.
Rains are crucial for farmers as more than 50 per cent of the cultivable farm area is unirrigated.
“The normal monsoon will boost kharif sowing that will start from June. We expect foodgrain output to surpass this year’s record,” Pattanayak told PTI.
There will be slight deficiency of monsoon rains in southern peninsular and north eastern parts for a month, but that would be recovered, he said.
The normal monsoon forecast augurs well for agriculture and the overall economy, he added.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) today projected southwest monsoon to be 97 per cent of
long period average (LPA), which is normal for the season.
Pattanayak said monsoon rains would be deficient in southern interior parts of poll-bound Karnataka. However, reservoirs in the state are expected to be full as rains in southern peninsular are likely to be normal.
For the ongoing 2017-18 crop year that will end in June, the agriculture ministry has pegged overall foodgrain output at 277.49 MT, as against 275.11 MT last year.
- Business Corner 16 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- LIC board to meet today to finalise IDBI Bank stake buy 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- IFFCO launches e-commerce platform for farmers; eyes $5bn sales in two years 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- IRCON gets Sebi nod for IPO, issue likely in September 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- PNB's NPA recovery in first quarter tops FY'18 level 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Developing airports like real estate biz doomed to fail: IATA 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Niti Aayog working on proposal to replace LPG subsidy with cooking subsidy: Kumar 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Natural gas, ATF in GST this week? 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Finmin may seek extension of deadline 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- RBI wants buyers name on demand drafts to curb misuse 14 Jul 2018 | Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Jul 2018 | PNS | Indore
Hitting back at Congress leader Kamal Nath for writing to Lord Shiva to seek an end to the misrule in Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Sunday said such shallow tactics have caused the opposition party's downfall. "My friend in the Congress is opposing (us) for no reason...